CEH version

AFtechyguyAFtechyguy Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have started the journey to get my CEH, and I got courseware books from a friend who recently took the class. His books are version 7. After reveiwing the forums, it seems they are already on a version 8.

Does anyone know when version 7 will no longer be testable? I do plan on taking this prior to the end of the year.

Thanks!

Comments

• AnthonyFAnthonyF Member Posts: 109
    V7 should be good for a while. There will also be an overlap period.

Do you plan on using a DOD voucher? All they have is V7.

You need the skillport classes, voucher request form and a duty appt to a CND Slot.

Regardless I suggest you try to go to the IA satellite center at FT Mcoy, WI. They offer a Computer Network Defense Course that culminates in the CEH exam. It is am intesive hands on hacking course. You will not be taught CEH specific stuff there but you will do everything you (hands on) will be expected to know for the exam and more everything from NMAP to Flying Squirrell they cover it. It is never full.

They also offer CISSP/S+/Network Managers Security Course.

It is no cost for DOD. Only have to worry about TDY.

If you hit me up on PM I will send you the link. I cannot access it from home.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Please send it to me too, maybe I can go even being Army, but ill have to do it on my leave time.
    The Army runs school but it is open to DOD. It is a satellite training center managed from FT Gordon. If you have any issues or questions PM me and we can take it from there. I know those guys very well.

This link will get you to the main page. Go to either the course calender or the course listing to see the dates for training. They have the 2013 dates already posted.

https://extranet.mccoy.army.mil/AKO/Training/IATC/

Sorry for not posting the link earlier it is a pain to get into from home and I had the link saved on my work computer.
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    If v8 is available, you might as well take it. I've talked to several EC Council employees who have explained that CEHv8 is EXACTLY the same content as CEHv7. The only difference is, EC-Council had to make some tweaks to their program (specifically the way the test/study material was produced) in order to secure ANSI accreditation. But as a test taker, the experience will not be any different.
    I concur but the DOD (Army) still has V7 vouchers and will use those until they are gone or expired. Free is free. I have no idea when the V8's will come in.

As for non-DOD I suggest the V8 as well.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    It is good to know that the version number in the EC-Council's certs is truly a marketing device and not an actual configuration management designation.
    I concur and I know how this is going to play out... Now that they are ANSI compliant they are going to remind the DOD IA powers that be that V7 is not ANSI compliant and require everybody to recertify on V8 to adhere to the updated DOD 8570. We will see what the new FY brings... Regardless buy stock in EC-Council they have it all figured out.
  • QuantumstateQuantumstate Member Posts: 192 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No, v8 won't be available until next year.

v7.1 is all you can test for now, and even so it will still say v7 on your cert. Ask them.
  • rcnaprcnap Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You're right - these guys are great. I just came back from attending their CISSP boot camp. My unit sends folks there all the time. I'll probably attend the CND course early next year and take the CEH at the end. FYI - this link requires a CAC.
    AnthonyF wrote: »
    The Army runs school but it is open to DOD. It is a satellite training center managed from FT Gordon. If you have any issues or questions PM me and we can take it from there. I know those guys very well.

This link will get you to the main page. Go to either the course calender or the course listing to see the dates for training. They have the 2013 dates already posted.

https://extranet.mccoy.army.mil/AKO/Training/IATC/

Sorry for not posting the link earlier it is a pain to get into from home and I had the link saved on my work computer.
  • AFtechyguyAFtechyguy Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am in the Air Force and active duty. If you guys know of anyway the military would pay for this, then that would be super helpful.

Thanks!
  • sgarza85sgarza85 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with everyone here. The CNDC course sounds good, and they did a great job on the CISSP course. When I took that earlier this year every single person in my class that took the test passed. Highly recommend the IATC at Fort McCoy.