Options

Have some questiones

dj_5001dj_5001 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi to all ,

I am planning to pursue the CCNA security so there are couple of things I wanted to get clarity on some points.

1:- I have absolutely zero experience in networking , its just that it had always wondered me how the things do what they are supposed to do.

2:- Does passing CCNA is the prerequisite for CCNA security if yes than I have to go through CCNA kindly provide some related study material books names That will be very helpful.

3:- Does Boot camp help in this ?? I mean as a fresher will it be advisable for me to go for it apart that they are highly priced. But if its worth it I can go for it.

4:- I would require alot of help from all of you in order to get this done so please stay with me.

Awaiting the answers.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    DiggsDiggs Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    1. If you have zero networking experience I would recommend doing two test approach to get your CCNA certification. May even suggest getting your CompTIA Network+ first.

2. Fairly certain CCNA is a prerequisite for CCNA:Sec but I'm sure 2 minutes on the Cisco website would confirm. The CCENT / CCNA forum has numerous threads with recommendations for books with Odom's and Lammle's being the most recommended

3. Not familiar with boot camps myself but you may wish to check out INE's free streaming of their CCNA boot camp video series.

4. We can't help you if you're not willing to help yourself....a few minutes on these forums / Google will answer most of these questions.

Network+ > CCENT > CCNA > CCNA:Security

Sounds like you want to run before you learn to crawl.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dj_5001 wrote: »
    Hi to all ,
    2:- Does passing CCNA is the prerequisite for CCNA security if yes than I have to go through CCNA kindly provide some related study material books names That will be very helpful.
    CCNA is a pre-requisite for CCNA Security. If you go to the CCNA forum, you will find some great threads on how to begin studying for that. Look for a recent thread by Roguetag.
  • Options
    Thanks To all for the comments. I live in India U.P. State. so there is not much choice i have if i want to do CCNA then also I might go outside to New-Delhi or somewhere where the quality is gud.

I am in no hurry to just go and in a week finish it because i know that it will be almost impossible to clear the CCNA in first attempt that to of having no knowledge about the subject at all.

The books that was told I will try to get them here if available.

The confusion was in the fact that a local institute told me that I can give the CCNA Security exam without getting through CCNA. They will do anything to get the students enroll.
    Thank you for your valuable comments do keep them coming.
  • Options
    al3kt.R***al3kt.R*** Member Posts: 118
    I have absolutely zero experience in networking

Try a Network+ first, I am sure it 'll give you the first clues needed to go beyond and it surely sounds more profile fitting for your case.

Cheers m8
    "Tigranes: Good heavens! Mardonius, what kind of men have brought us to fight against? Men who do not compete for possessions, but for honour."--- Herodotus, The Histories
    "Nipson anomemata me monan opsin"--- Gregory of Nazianzus
    "Bruce Schneier's secure handshake is so strong, you won't be able to exchange keys with anyone else for days."--- Bruce Schneier Facts
  • Options
    Thank you all for the guidelines. There is however a little problem that I am facing right now.
    There is a local institute who are offering CCNA and the duration is of 4 months ( Part time )
    2 hrs. / day. They claim in their site that the course is designed by some (QUAD CCIE)#12353. Can any one tell me the details regarding this cause I have searched the net but still unsure. I mean if I were to put my money to earn a cert that should be legitimate.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I did a lookup on the CCIE holder... ******. Seems he's a shady character on Google:

http://khawarb.wordpress.com/2011/07/20/******-butt-penta-ccie-penta-fraud/

Im sure the program may be "designed" by him, but it's probably not "taught" by him. Play on words, you'd have to get clarification on who teaches the program. I could be wrong.

The great thing about going to college is that you get to ask questions of someone that's more knowledgble about the topics. The bad things is, that person may not know much more than what the book has in it.

The course may give you the materials, but it's not going to give you the CCNA certification just by going through the course. It's going to prepare you for it. How you prepare for the exam during that time span will determine if you get the certifications. That means if you play games, and fool off during classes and never lab, and barely pass the quizzes - you'll have a harder time than someone that did above and beyond what the teacher expects. You get out of the class what you put in.

For someone without networking experience, classes are great way to get introduced.

I have a few questions for you:
    Do you have Zero experience with computers, or do you just have zero experience with networking?

Good luck!

As far as your older questions:

1. If you have the time: Read over these books Before CCNA - A+, Network+. Understand the concepts, don't bother with the memorization.

2. You need to have CCNA:[R/S] Before going onto CCNA:Security. Go here for material suggestions: http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/81293-how-study-ccent-ccna-tutorial-3.html

3. Since you have ZERO experience in a networking. I can not recommend a boot camp. See here: http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/81293-how-study-ccent-ccna-tutorial-3.html

4. As far as help. That's what we do. We help each other! You ask questions, we answer questions. People ask and we get more education! It's a win/win for everyone.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    I did a lookup on the CCIE holder... ******. Seems he's a shady character on Google:

http://khawarb.wordpress.com/2011/07/20/******-butt-penta-ccie-penta-fraud/

I have a few questions for you:
    Do you have Zero experience with computers, or do you just have zero experience with networking?

1. If you have the time: Read over these books Before CCNA - A+, Network+. Understand the concepts, don't bother with the memorization.

3. Since you have ZERO experience in a networking. I can not recommend a boot camp. See here:

Thanks for the info. I already looked on Google that's why I was apprehensive regarding to go ahed with this . Plus the fees which they are asking is 200$ for study material + classes and 300 $ for exam. That is about 500 USD. I think that's abig deal for me. On top of that the person who has made this particular course gave me droughts..
    As far as your question goes. I am pretty familiar with Computers not so with networking.
    Boot camp :- I visited some of the institutes in New-Delhi and found out that they are more interested in getting the student rather then quality and focus only on money that is coming in. 5 days costs $ 600.
    I have brought a book by Todd Lammle I think this will be good for starters.

Thanks again for your post.