Options

70-640 - Passed!

Henry is GodHenry is God Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
Passed this exam today folks. I have to say I am over the moon to get it out of the way, and in my opinion it is a very tricky exam. One down two to go though, and the 70-642 should be easier given my Cisco/networking background. I'm just now awaiting the return of Fabregas to Arsenal to complete the ultimate year for meicon_cheers.gif

Any questions or study resource questions I will be glad to answer.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    BloogenBloogen Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice job! How did you score? Are there any resources or subjects you found essential to passing? I am hoping to get mine done by mid october or sooner.
  • Options
    recktechierecktechie Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats. I want to do the 70-640, 642, and 646. But I have no work exp or any other server experience, do you think it will not be feasible for me to do? What materials did you use and how much exp do you have? I plan on using testout and the MS press books, will that be enough?

Oh, can you help me set up the virtual labs needed?
  • Options
    Bloogen wrote: »
    Nice job! How did you score? Are there any resources or subjects you found essential to passing? I am hoping to get mine done by mid october or sooner.

Alright son, I will tell you what I used and you can decide for yourself as different people take to different styles/methods.

Testout Labsim - Good explanations, notes on all topics good for checking up if something puzzles you, and advantage of a built in simulator for practicals. I found the American guy very lifeless and mong like, so skipped most of his videos. The other boy was OK though.

Virtual Labs - Setup 3 servers with iso images and a 7 client. Good for learning and understanding, bit of a pisser when things go wrong and you need to reboot and what not. Sometimes the copies of machines don't run as expected and a fresh install is required. That being said, a must have in my opinion.

CBT Nuggets - In depth and crystal clear explanations. Some really poor humour throughout but the guy keeps you interested and I took to his delivery method fairly easily.

Books - Server 2008 portable command guide and Active Directory cookbook. Both of these helped me understand the topics and why the commands are used as opposed to the GUI.

Website - I found this very helpful. I am not sure how I found it, as I need to manually alter the address to read the material.

http://www.kurtdillard.com/StudyGuides/70-640/2.html

Where you see the '2.html' I was just changing that from 1 through to 6. Priceless information all relating to the exam and I would advise you to take in all the chapters. I used this in the build up to today and found it a huge help.

Technet as well but that is a formality when studying Microsoft.

I scored 788 overall which I was pleased with, as the test was tricky and some of the wording of questions are designed to catch you out so I advise to read carefully!

Key areas - AD CA, AD FS, AD RMS, command line, Powershell, replication.

Anything else just shout me.
  • Options
    recktechie wrote: »
    congrats. I want to do the 70-640, 642, and 646. But I have no work exp or any other server experience, do you think it will not be feasible for me to do? What materials did you use and how much exp do you have? I plan on using testout and the MS press books, will that be enough?

Oh, can you help me set up the virtual labs needed?

Please see my reply to the other guy. That should cover your questions.
  • Options
    j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
    Congrats on the pass! I'm looking to start studying for that exam in the next week or so.

Fabregas will never go back to Arsenal... oh and thanks for Van Persie! Utd all the way!
  • Options
    recktechierecktechie Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats again. Did you have work experience, is that a must? I have no exp at all and wish to use testout and ms press books for the mcitp sa, you think that will cut it? FYI, from what I understand the press books advise me on how to set up a virtual lab as it is a part of the traning.
  • Options
    ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats icon_cheers.gif

A fellow Gooner :D lovely. We don't need Fab, we got Cazorla and let's hope Diaby stays healthy because he was quite a revelation against Liverpool.....
  • Options
    Nothing is a must if you want it badly enough and are willing to put in the work. My situation was that I studied Server 2008 in a module at university and consequently got a merit award for designing and implementing a scaled down version of an organisations AD structure. Better than nothing, but still no work experience as such.

I can not say what will cut it for you as it is different for everyone. I picked the concepts up very easily which helped me alot. Some may struggle with the concepts, I obviously don't know you to make that call! Others retain information easily, others need to go over the same thing over and over again, only you know your learning style. Start off on Testout and see how you go would be my advice.

Testout have labs built in but I would also advise on doing your own as they are set out to mimic a certain experience.
  • Options
    Zorodzai wrote: »
    Congrats icon_cheers.gif

A fellow Gooner :D lovely. We don't need Fab, we got Cazorla and let's hope Diaby stays healthy because he was quite a revelation against Liverpool.....

Diaby got injured last night! He has been awesome the first few games. Cazorla looks class as well. Would still have Cesc back in a heartbeat.

Hopefully Giroud comes good and then I can see us doing something this year. If he goes on without scoring he could be another Chamakh and could be time for a striker come January. I personally still think we need another striker for rotational purposes.
  • Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. My test date is September 24th, and I am nervous. I haven't taken a Microsoft cert exam since the NT 4.0 days, so I'm not sure what to expect. I have a lot of experience with the basics of Server 2008 and R2, but nothing enterprise level.
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    BTW, thanks for the links to the Kurt Dillard study guides. I've only started skimming through them and they are pretty detailed.
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass, was a tough test. Don't be fooled by the title of the 70-642 it does not cover much networking but rather Microsoft's network services.
  • Options
    al3kt.R***al3kt.R*** Member Posts: 118
    Way to go m8icon_thumright.gif
    "Tigranes: Good heavens! Mardonius, what kind of men have brought us to fight against? Men who do not compete for possessions, but for honour."--- Herodotus, The Histories
    "Nipson anomemata me monan opsin"--- Gregory of Nazianzus
    "Bruce Schneier's secure handshake is so strong, you won't be able to exchange keys with anyone else for days."--- Bruce Schneier Facts
  • Options
    t4ttyt3ddyt4ttyt3ddy Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, I passed mine yesterday too.
  • Options
    eaterofsmokeeaterofsmoke Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats passed mine on the 11th. Was so relieved I was dancing in the test center, people were looking at me funny with my silent celebration.

Smoke
  • Options
    Commguy23Commguy23 Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Alright son, I will tell you what I used and you can decide for yourself as different people take to different styles/methods.

Testout Labsim - Good explanations, notes on all topics good for checking up if something puzzles you, and advantage of a built in simulator for practicals. I found the American guy very lifeless and mong like, so skipped most of his videos. The other boy was OK though.

I'm curious as to how you did on all of the practice exams in Testout LabSim. I am about 70% done with all of the lessons and have failed most of the end of section exams, but after reading the explanations I think I will do much better on the final practice exams. I'm wondering if it will be enough or if I should buy transcender also, as it has helped me with Security + and 70-680. Thanks!
  • Options
    Commguy23Commguy23 Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was also debating whether or not to get CBT nuggets, as I bought them for the 70-680 and loved it... Wicked expensive though but my job is requiring me to get the 70-640 (and 70-680, thank god I passed that one) so in the end, I lose out on a job if I can't pass.