Is Security+ worth it?

dpjackal89dpjackal89 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello. I decided a while ago that I needed certifications to boost my resume so I got the A+ in August and just took my Network+ exam today. I am wondering if it's worth it to keep going and go ahead on getting my Security+. I already have Darril Gibson's book which everyone seems to love. It is just a matter of whether I should go through the process of obtaining the certification or not. What do you guys think? Do you think it has helped your resume? Do you think employers like this certification? What are your opinions?

Comments

• historian1974historian1974 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dpjackal89 wrote: »
    Hello. I decided a while ago that I needed certifications to boost my resume so I got the A+ in August and just took my Network+ exam today. I am wondering if it's worth it to keep going and go ahead on getting my Security+. I already have Darril Gibson's book which everyone seems to love. It is just a matter of whether I should go through the process of obtaining the certification or not. What do you guys think? Do you think it has helped your resume? Do you think employers like this certification? What are your opinions?

Security+ rounds out the holy trinity of CompTIA exams. The other two being A+ and Network+. Even if you're not interested in getting into a security role, I think it is still a good cert to get. Security is a hot topic in IT and probably isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Just my 2 cents of course.
  • webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Security+ rounds out the holy trinity of CompTIA exams. The other two being A+ and Network+. Even if you're not interested in getting into a security role, I think it is still a good cert to get. Security is a hot topic in IT and probably isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Just my 2 cents of course.

+1 icon_thumright.gif
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congratulations on the Network+ pass.

I received a job offer last week that was directly related to my Security+ certification. They were interested in my MCITP: SA cert but the Security+ cert was also required and I wouldn't have received the offer if I didn't have the Security+ cert. The job wasn't for me, but the point is the certification opens doors. It's also not the first time this has happened for me, but it is the most recent.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Security+ satisfies the requirements of Department of Defense Directive 8570 for Information Assurance Management Level I and Information Assurance Technical Level II:

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/857001m.pdf

The current requirements can now be found on this website instead of in the actual DoD Directive:

http://iase.disa.mil/eta/iawip/content_pages/iabaseline.html

A quote from the above page:
    "The A+ or Network+ certification qualify only for Technical Level I and cannot be used for Technical Level II positions."
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    with an A+ and Network + the Sec + should be fairly easy, might as well do it. I was surprised when I got mine that it made my 8 year old MCSA a MCSA with Security from Microsoft.
  • dpjackal89dpjackal89 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The DoD sounds interesting. Can you explain more about that to me?
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    Security+ satisfies the requirements of Department of Defense Directive 8570 for Information Assurance Manager Level I and Information Assurance Technician Level II:

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/857001m.pdf

The current requirements can now be found on this website instead of in the actual DoD Directive:

DoD 8570 Information Assurance Workforce Improvement Program

A quote from the above page:
    "The A+ or Network+ certification qualify only for Technical Level I and cannot be used for Technical Level II positions."
  • dpjackal89dpjackal89 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Bump ^ anyone?
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    Not a whole lot to explain. DOD jobs require Sec+. Either you have it going into a DOD IT position, or you need to get it quick. We had a guy that did have it, we hired him, took him two tries and he finally got it. On the other hand, he also needed the Solaris 10 System Administration. I believe he tried twice on the FIRST test and failed it, never got around to trying it and 3rd time, and was let go.
  • stopdroppstopdropp Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Very true. DOD even requires a all of their enlisted soldiers in certain IT fields to hold a sec+ certification. Its most definitely a necessity if looking to hold pretty much any government job related to IT.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dpjackal89 wrote: »
    The DoD sounds interesting. Can you explain more about that to me?

Here is a decent overview from the GIAC website:

Dept of Defense Directive: DoDD 8570
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]