LAN Gaming Question

triplebenctriplebenc Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everybody, I am trying to set up a pc game over the network so that all computers on my network can access it. I guess you can pretty much say it's like a lan party but with only a couple users in my apartment. So far I've installed the game on all computers and am sharing it so I can access it on whatever computer I want but now the part I'm not sure about is how do I get it so that I can play against my roommates all at the same time. Is there anything that I need to download? File printing and Sharing works. This is pretty off-topic but i appreciate anybody that answers. Thanks!

Comments

• Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    This depends on the game. If you have the game on each of the pcs......and each of the pcs can communicate with each other...you shoud be good.

Now once that is done, normally, one of the pcs has to "host" a game. There should be some sort of "network" game option. Once you set up the hosted game, the other pcs point to the server (the computer hosting the game) and join the game.

This is how it was done on the few games I play online. Most of my gaming is on xbox live....so I don't have to worry about all the configurations.

Does that answer your questions....or just add to the confusion?

Kenny
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • triplebenctriplebenc Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nope, it helps me out. The game I was trying to play wouldnt let me play on a network. It'd keep asking me to insert a disc. But your Reply helped me, thanks!
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Just wondering... What games are you playing at your LAN parties?

My friends and I are a bit old fashioned I think...

Starcraft, Jedi Knight 2, Half-Life 1 and Unreal Tournamnet 2004.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    We have LAN parties with Half-life 2, UT2K4, Diablo 2, and lately Quake 4. When we get nostalgic we'll pull out Team Fortress Classic or (really nostalgic) Doom II.

PC GAMERS RULE!!! NO CONSOLES ALLOWED!!!
  • omg I love Doom 2 LAN parties lol
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Unfortunately I'm the only one of my friends who has Doom3, Half-Life 2 or Quake 4.... Otherwise I would suggest playing those with my friends as well.
  • 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    Ten9t6 wrote:
    Most of my gaming is on xbox live....so I don't have to worry about all the configurations.

Great. That's one place you're not touching a lab...and we're counting++ ;)

2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    omg I love Doom 2 LAN parties lol
    Nothing but chain saws, rocket launchers, and BFGs allowed! icon_twisted.gif