Options

TOGAF - architecture framework certifications

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Has anyone on the boards conquered the latest version of TOGAF. Many architects at work say its a good additional knowledge/qualification to have and helps with the high level side of project work when engaging with clients.

Im just looking for some feedback of what people thought of the material and if theres any hints and tips you could provide.

Does anyone know if architecture frameworks are worth pursuing?
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    I worked on TOGAF v9 a while back as part of an IBM Architecture requirement and ended up dropping it before completing the second exam. It's a good framework and there are benefits to understanding the concepts, especially in combination with ITIL, MoF, etc.

If this is something you are going after then good luck!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    down77 wrote: »
    I worked on TOGAF v9 a while back as part of an IBM Architecture requirement and ended up dropping it before completing the second exam. It's a good framework and there are benefits to understanding the concepts, especially in combination with ITIL, MoF, etc.

If this is something you are going after then good luck!

Hey man,

Its something im thinking of pursuing in the next 6-12 months perhaps. Im curious, is TOGAF something can be applied to actual practice or is it more just theoretical concepts? Guys at work said they took a course and were then automatically TOGAF certified but it looks like this has now changed. So im wondering the value in it if you only needed to take the course? Saying that, a quick job search brings up quite a few high level jobs in architecture which state it as a nice to have.

Apart from the free material off the open website, is there any other good products to use such as CBTs?

• Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    I took the course, but then had to follow up with the Part 1 and Part 2 exams. It's based on best practice framework (theories) that are applicable to many situations (ie: vague!). It helps in the design and structure but don't expect it to be the end all solution. TOGAF is best when combined with other methodologies (Gartner is popular in many businesses).

As far as resources, I used the TOGAF website, IBM website, and a work paid class. I also purchase the TOGAF 9 Foundation Study Guide (Part 1):
    Amazon.com: TOGAF Version 9 Foundation Study Guide (9789087532314): Rachel Harrison: Books

As I said my journey ended after Part 1 since I was asked to refocus on some other efforts.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    down77 wrote: »
    I took the course, but then had to follow up with the Part 1 and Part 2 exams. It's based on best practice framework (theories) that are applicable to many situations (ie: vague!). It helps in the design and structure but don't expect it to be the end all solution. TOGAF is best when combined with other methodologies (Gartner is popular in many businesses).

As far as resources, I used the TOGAF website, IBM website, and a work paid class. I also purchase the TOGAF 9 Foundation Study Guide (Part 1):
    Amazon.com: TOGAF Version 9 Foundation Study Guide (9789087532314): Rachel Harrison: Books

As I said my journey ended after Part 1 since I was asked to refocus on some other efforts.

Thanks for the info dude!