Options

Sweet, sweet revenge on the 70-680!

Iceman25kIceman25k Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone; I've been perusing these forums for some time as I was studying for my CompTIA certifications, but I finally decide to make an account since it felt like I was missing out :).

Anyway, some history about me; I grew up with computers and knew I wanted to make a career out of IT, however last year I had an eye-opening experience at a job that put a lot of weight on having certified IT workers, so after I left, I decided to hit the books hard and quickly get the CompTIA "holy trinity" so to speak; A+, Network+, and Security+ done within the first six months this year.

A colleague of mine who also works in the field said good things about Microsoft's certifications, so I decided to give the 70-680 a try since it seemed to be right up my alley since I deal with Windows problems for other users on almost a daily basis. I found out two things the hard way: 1. My existing study habits needed changing because 2. Microsoft knows how to write a hard exam. I thought I did decent, only to get slapped with a 580 score icon_sad.gif

I re-evaluated my studying and went with a totally different approach that included much more labbing and flash cards, something I haven't used since high school. This Tuesday, I went in determined to save face and managed to pull off a 800 :D. The clerk at the testing center gave me a high five and said, "I know the feeling my friend, I failed the 70-640 exam three times before I passed it."

Next on the hit list is the CCENT; a couple very good looking jobs opened up in my area but they won't even look at your resume without a Cisco certification listed.
11/29/12: Begin CCNP ROUTE.

Comments

• Options
    al3kt.R***al3kt.R*** Member Posts: 118
    Nice job m8, keep goingicon_thumright.gif!!!
    "Tigranes: Good heavens! Mardonius, what kind of men have brought us to fight against? Men who do not compete for possessions, but for honour."--- Herodotus, The Histories
    "Nipson anomemata me monan opsin"--- Gregory of Nazianzus
    "Bruce Schneier's secure handshake is so strong, you won't be able to exchange keys with anyone else for days."--- Bruce Schneier Facts
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the Pass - Well Done - i had failed the Exam first time with a 500 only to slay it again( after 3 months ) with a perfect score icon_smile.gif .
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    E1Ga11oE1Ga11o Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Taking 70-680 Saturday for second time, any resources you could point me to? Thanks!
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Professor Messers Videos and the MS Press book should be fine - What were your area of Weakness when you failed the first time ? Make sure your restudy those areas again . I did you the Don Poulton Win 7 Book as did find they quite in depth as well in certain areas which the MS Press books didnot cover .

Hope it goes well - All the best
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    Iceman25kIceman25k Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I second Don Poulton's book; the first time I went in, I just used Professor Messer's videos along with CBT Nuggets, which wasn't enough for me. I picked up Don's book due to it being highly recommended and I fell in love with it.

I tried using the MS Press book, but the amount of errors in the book AND in the practice exam it had led me to stop using it altogether.
    11/29/12: Begin CCNP ROUTE.