Options

Career certification advice for me

CaptainLCaptainL Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
hi guys, in the future I want to work as a network engineer(or anything related to networking).

I don't have any certs yet but this is what I'm planning to take

•CompTia A+ (I have very minimal knowledge about hardware and software)
•CCNA (i'm currently taking up ccna exploration at our university)
•CCNP
•CCNA:Security (I'am interested at this, but as a network engineer does this help?)

will these certs help me land a high position in the future? or should say,how high are the possibilities that I can have a high salary having this certs?

Please suggest also a GOOD combination of certs for a network engineer. thank you!

P.S: I'am not into the salary at the moment, since I'am still studying. my primary focus for now is to gain skills, I just want to know the paying rate of a network engineer.

Comments

• Options
    Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    Certification can get you interviews (or may be a start), but you need formal education and experience to get good salary and high position.
    A+ is considered to be a good foundation exam. Even if you are not planning to write CompTia exams, I always consider it’s important to understand the topics covered by A+/ S+/ N+.
    Get an idea about CCNA and if you think it’s doable at this stage – it will be a good first certification followed by CCNA Security. Consider CCNP when you have some experience.
  • Options
    Vik210 wrote: »
    Certification can get you interviews (or may be a start), but you need formal education and experience to get good salary and high position.
    A+ is considered to be a good foundation exam. Even if you are not planning to write CompTia exams, I always consider it’s important to understand the topics covered by A+/ S+/ N+.
    Get an idea about CCNA and if you think it’s doable at this stage – it will be a good first certification followed by CCNA Security. Consider CCNP when you have some experience.

My first target is the CCNA maybe before the year ends I will take it up. I'am wondering do I need to take up N+ and S+?
  • Options
    Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    CaptainL wrote: »
    I'am wondering do I need to take up N+ and S+?

I did study but never took the exam. After CCNA, it won’t be of my value anyway. Read the books to understand the concept and aim for higher certifications.
  • Options
    Vik210 wrote: »
    I did study but never took the exam. After CCNA, it won’t be of my value anyway. Read the books to understand the concept and aim for higher certifications.

got it! thank you!