Chosen for SANS SEC401 Work Study!

YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
So I'm pretty stunned right now.

On a whim I applied for their work-study program at about 1am this morning. I was having trouble sleeping and I needed something to do, I'm not exactly sure why I ended up at the SANS site. I think I applied one time a long time ago as well, but I never heard anything back. Anyway, I just received an email saying I have been accepted to the work-study program for SANS SEC401 in Chicago! Attending a SANS conference has always been a dream of mine, but rationalizing spending thousands of dollars that could go elsewhere was impossible for me.

Anyway, I'm super pumped about it and I needed to tell someone besides my wife, who literally has no idea what I'm talking about icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Congrats - from what I hear, SANS offers some of the best training in the world! So this is quote the opportunity! Good luck and have fun!
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congratulations! icon_wink.gif Well done!
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @ChooseLife - If not for your own acceptance story thread, I probably wouldn't have thought to apply again. So I have you to thank! I got the class I wanted in the city closest to me. I'm sort of blown away at the response time, which was within 24 hours.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    WHAT! I just applied this morning for the Chicago event. Call them and tell them you are not interested and CyberGuyPR will take your place. HAHA!!

Congrats!! Make sure you post about your experience after the event.
    Ha you applied this morning too? Crazy timing. I was afraid I applied too late! I figured SANS would have already selected the Facilitators by now. According to the documentation I received, the order in which they select Facilitators is:

1. Master's Students
    2. People who have already done work-study with SANS
    3. Noobs

No man should be this giddy.
    YFZblu wrote: »
    @ChooseLife - If not for your own acceptance story thread, I probably wouldn't have thought to apply again. So I have you to thank!
    Ha-ha, yeah, I'll take the credit for that :)
    I got the class I wanted in the city closest to me.
    Awesome! Best of luck!

Is your company footing the bill?
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    ChooseLife wrote: »
    Is your company footing the bill?

I'll be contacting my Manager tomorrow morning with this request :D Outside of the $850 Facilitator fee I won't have many expenses; one of my close friends is moving to Chicago and should be settled in by mid-September, so that brings my housing cost to $0!
    I'll be contacting my Manager tomorrow morning with this request :D Outside of the $850 Facilitator fee I won't have many expenses; one of my close friends is moving to Chicago and should be settled in by mid-September, so that brings my housing cost to $0!
    Nice. Make sure you explain to them that you are getting cream-of-the-cream training for one fifth of its normal price :)

GetCertified4Less
    Update - So according to my boss, I would have to front the money, and I was told there's more than a 50% chance I would be reimbursed. Either way, I'm making this work - But getting reimbursed and effectively going for free would be epic.
    Scratch that - My employer has decided to pay the Work Study fee up front! GSEC training at the cost of....on the house. I'm beside myself at the moment!
    My employer has decided to pay the Work Study fee up front! GSEC training at the cost of....on the house. I'm beside myself at the moment!
    That's great!

P.S. Oh wow, looks like you're doing the 401 with Dr.Cole himself!!

GetCertified4Less
    W00T W00T! Awesome Friday. Just got the email and I've been accepted for 505 Securing Windows and Resisting Malware. TE will be well represented at this event. YFZblu is buying drinks but he doesn't know it. HAHA!

I am in a similar situation as YFZblu. I live 30 min from downtown so my expenses will be minimal. Plan is to see if the company is willing to cover the facilitator fee. We report to the CFO and he recently left so we'll see how that goes when we take it to the CEO. Worst case scenario I'll my out of pocket which I'll gladly do.

I'm debating if I want to call my wife and share the excitement. Problem is she's still sleeping so it may not be a good idea to wake her up. Haha!
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    W00T W00T! Awesome Friday. Just got the email and I've been accepted for 505 Securing Windows and Resisting Malware.
    Congrats!

GetCertified4Less
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    W00T W00T! Awesome Friday. Just got the email and I've been accepted for 505 Securing Windows and Resisting Malware. TE will be well represented at this event. YFZblu is buying drinks but he doesn't know it. HAHA!

I am in a similar situation as YFZblu. I live 30 min from downtown so my expenses will be minimal. Plan is to see if the company is willing to cover the facilitator fee. We report to the CFO and he recently left so we'll see how that goes when we take it to the CEO. Worst case scenario I'll my out of pocket which I'll gladly do.

I'm debating if I want to call my wife and share the excitement. Problem is she's still sleeping so it may not be a good idea to wake her up. Haha!

Congratulations! I didn't see this was ever updated. TE will be well-represented indeed!