CCNP Route by Christmas

Henry is GodHenry is God Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
That is my aim! My circumstances are that I have studied and passed the module through university but in my honest opinion was not enough to be ready for the exam. With my CCNA and 70-640 behind me it is time to nail this mother!

Thoughts for resources? I am tempted by Rene Molenaar Master CCNP Route but cannot find many reviews. I already have the TCP/IP books as I purchased them last year for the course, so they should come in handy for some in depth reading on topics I don't quite get.

CBT Nuggets, as they have never failed me in the past, are on my list along with virtual labs and perhaps the Configure Terminal software. Thoughts in regards to the 3 month goal and if it is achievable, and any resource advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gracie!

P.S Watch out for the guns, they'll get ya!

Comments

• wavewave Member Posts: 342
    The ROUTE Foundation Learning Guide from Cisco Press is awesome for this exam. If you work hard you can knock this beast off by Christmas. It took me just over three months.

I personally wouldn't waste time or money with video learning. I'm a fan of the Boson Ex Sim Max practice exams.

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
    TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
    Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Agree with wave on EX-SIM max:

Here is a post from another thread on my recommendations for ROUTE and the other exams as well....

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/81458-not-really-sure-how-get-started-ccnp.html
    If I had to do it all over, here is what I would do for each exam starting with ROUTE:

1) Start with the free Cisco LAB book for the exam you're on and Lab your way through it once. It's easier and more fun to dig in when you're hands on. The lab books have structure to allow you to set up reachable goals. The links to all three are in this thread:

CCNP ROUTE Lab manual from the Cisco Academy

2) Read the FLG and make notes and flashcards as you go. Use something like Evernote for notes and Anki or Mnemonesyne for flash cards

3) Do the entire Free SLM lab book again

4) Read the OCG and make notes and flashcards as you go.

5) Use Boson EX-SIM max to gauge test preparedness and re-lab areas you are weak on.

The CCNP like the CCIE is won in the LAB. Most of the blueprint focuses on configuration and verification of a specific technology. Not surprisingly, most of the exams focus on configuration and verification. Familiarity with the blueprint technologies is only going to come with repeated lab practice

This may seem like a laborious process, but it allowed me to pass all three exams on the first shot over a year and a half period.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Henry is GodHenry is God Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys.

In regards to the Boson, does that eliminate the need for GNS3?
    Thanks guys.

In regards to the Boson, does that eliminate the need for GNS3?

No they're just practice exams. You still need GNS3.

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
  • okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    I think I'm going to purchase the Boson exams. I hear many good things. 3 months is definitely doable if you can fully commit. If it wasn't for me having a second job I think I could have hit the 3 month mark. I'm now close to 4 months but I'm feeling pretty close. I have experience in a Cisco shop so your mileage may vary.

What has been most helpful for me is: CCNP Route Simplified, Chris Bryant Videos, GNS3, Free Network Academy Labs.
  • mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    Good thread, thanks guys =)

I'm thinking about taking a CCNP exam before the end of 2012 as well~
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    wave wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't waste time or money with video learning.

I personally don't agree with this at all, I have used video training for a lot of my studying and it works better for some then others. I think INE and CBTNuggets both put out great video training products that are a great supplement to reading and labing.
  • mattaumattau Member Posts: 218
    shednik wrote: »
    I personally don't agree with this at all, I have used video training for a lot of my studying and it works better for some then others. I think INE and CBTNuggets both put out great video training products that are a great supplement to reading and labing.

+1 when you get onto topics like redistribution and ipv6 then you will really appreciate seeing the ccie instructors guiding you through it in a visual way. I couldnt have passed my route exam without the video learning. Even if you dont buy a course at the very least id be visiting youtube and searching for the topics you need help on at the time.

• bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'll agree (for Route) that the video learning, followed by the FLG, followed by the OCG is really going to give you a great grasp of the material.

Video for the general idea.
    FLG to get a good framework.
    OCG to fill in the cracks.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • prtechprtech Member Posts: 163
    bermovick wrote: »
    I'll agree (for Route) that the video learning, followed by the FLG, followed by the OCG is really going to give you a great grasp of the material.

Video for the general idea.
    FLG to get a good framework.
    OCG to fill in the cracks.
    This, with lots of labs. I passed ROUTE in less than 3 months of studying using Nuggets, FLG, then OCG.
    If at first you do succeed, try something harder.
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes. Labs are essential, especially for Route. The lab books were even free downloads at some point - there's a few threads here with links to them.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here's another vote to add video training to your list of study materials. For me, it helps having something explained in multiple ways instead of just reading it out of a book.
    f0rgiv3n wrote: »
    Here's another vote to add video training to your list of study materials. For me, it helps having something explained in multiple ways instead of just reading it out of a book.

I guess it depends how one learns. For some people video learning will be effective. Some of those videos cost quite a chunk to purchase and if you're the sort of person who learns fine from reading material, then I think you would do fine with books and the content on Cisco's website. Again, this is not for everyone, but it works for some.

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012