PMP requirements

steppinthraxsteppinthrax Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm relatively young (30). I've been a Lead Programmer analyst for 2 years for the state and a principal software engineer for 1.5 years with a federal contractor. I'm concerned that I don't fall under the required hours for applying for the exam. I have developed and designed systems and tracked those projects during my employment. I have also held lead roles.

Comments

• QuantumstateQuantumstate Member Posts: 192 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You do have to have project or program management experience, at a certain minimum to meet requirements. Will your company let you take on more responsibility? PMI will check, so if you don't have the hours might consider CAPM. Do you have a Bachelors or Masters?
  • steppinthraxsteppinthrax Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You do have to have project or program management experience, at a certain minimum to meet requirements. Will your company let you take on more responsibility? PMI will check, so if you don't have the hours might consider CAPM. Do you have a Bachelors or Masters?

I have a Masters in Applied IT and a B.S. in Comp Sci. I never had a project/program manager title. I've managed projects (mostly my own) and can represent these within the PMBOK lifecycle.

I prefer to do the whole thing PMP rather than the CAPM, the CAPM just looks generic and shows immediate inexperience....
  • universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    sounds like CAPM is up your alley.... it is a good start towards the PMP and will help once you meet the contact hours and actual PM hours requirements. i would discourage against Project+ as it is not well know and while it is similar to CAPM as far as experience, the name recognition of CAPM will get you further.

some ways to help you on your way towards the PMP is to knock out the MS Project 2010 cert (most PM jobs require 2010 Proj experience) and also the SCRUM Master cert (this is very helpful if in the software development arena) ... you can also start studying for agile or risk management certs from PMI. they have a lot of the same info as the PMP, but are geared for those either not meeting the PMP requirements or those that already have their PMP and want to further delve into other concentrations.
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
    I prefer to do the whole thing PMP rather than the CAPM, the CAPM just looks generic and shows immediate inexperience....

well, based upon your post(s) that is what you have (lack of inexperience).... take a lot more time and experience to meet the PMP requirements. Plus in an interview if they see you have little experience, but a PMP, they would probably assume that you fluffed up your experience on the PMI/PMP application (that is exactly what I would think if i were to interview you right now and you had a PMP, but limited experience. The PMI requirements for PMP are meant to allow in only seasoned project managers... unless you were ONLY doing PM work every single hour of the day for the short time you have been in IT, you would not be able to claim the required hours for hands on experience.

once you pick up a copy of RITA, CROWE or the PMBOK, you will understand that there is a lot more to being a PM (and a certified PMP) than managing some in house programs/projects ...
  • QuantumstateQuantumstate Member Posts: 192 ■■■■□□□□□□
    And if you interview with an employer and it becomes apparent that you don't have the background, they may report you and PMI may take away your PMP. Best to build those hours with your current employer.
    And if you interview with an employer and it becomes apparent that you don't have the background, they may report you and PMI may take away your PMP. Best to build those hours with your current employer.

ah, you did read the last chapter in Crowe and understood it.... !!! i remember when you were having serious issues with that! you finally drank the kool-aide like the rest of us! lol