TCP or UDP ?

chinamanchinaman Inactive Imported Users Posts: 167
Just want to ask youy guys regarding the WAN Protocols, I'm wondering what type of L4PDU does HDLC, Frame Relay and ATM use. Is it TCP or UDP.

Comments

• Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    I am not sure what you are asking here. Those WAN protocols are Layer 2. They do not care about the layers above them. It is all encapsulated into a layer 2 frame and then thrown onto the wire as bits.

Encapsulation

Data Layer 7, 6, 5
    Segment Layer 4
    Packet Layer 3
    Frame Layer 2
    Bits Layer 1

Check out chapter 3

http://www.daltonstate.edu/faculty/tfaulk/STUDY%20GUIDE1.pdf

Let me know if this doesn't answer your question.
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • chinamanchinaman Inactive Imported Users Posts: 167
    Thanks actually I read I forgot what book if it's sybex or press that CDP uses UDP protocols or maybe I've already mixed all things in my mind like CDP is also a multicast. grrr..... See what happen guys if you read to much you.
  • CDP runs on all meadis that supports SNAP headers. Any LAN, HDLC, Frame Relay, and ATM interface. CDP is not dependant on any layer protocol higher than Data Link Layer. So in the case of CDP, TCP and UDP do not matter. Maybe this helps.
    CDP can cross Frame Relay and ATM...so your right about that.

Check this out:

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/welcher/papers/cdp.htm
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • chinamanchinaman Inactive Imported Users Posts: 167
    Thanks for that info
  • hey thanks! nice link! And btw (off topic) Kenny, how is the CCIE lab coming along?
    hey thanks! nice link! And btw (off topic) Kenny, how is the CCIE lab coming along?

Its coming...I have some more material to go through...I will be posting a review soon.

Kenny
    Kenny