Options

iBGP prefix problem

mguymguy Member Posts: 167 ■■■□□□□□□□

Why is that when I establish an iBGP relationship between R1 and R2 I cannot receive the routes originating from R4?

But when I establish an iBGP relationship between R1 and R3 then I see the prefixes in R1?

*R2 is peered with R3 and has the routes that I want installed int its routing table

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why is that when I establish an iBGP relationship between R1 and R2 I cannot receive the routes originating from R4?
    A router won't advertise routes it learns via iBGP to another iBGP neighbor.
    But when I establish an iBGP relationship between R1 and R3 then I see the prefixes in R1?
    Because in that case the above rule doesn't apply.

When in doubt, full-mesh your iBGP. :)
  • Options
    mochaaddictmochaaddict Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Might also want to play with route reflectors or confederations to get around the iBGP full mesh requirement.
  • Options
    vishaw1986vishaw1986 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In IBGP we need a fully mesh network , this a type of BGP split horizon route (for loop prevention )......

e.g
    A
    B
    C , A is neighbor to B and B is neighbor to C

Now the route learn by B through A is not fwd to C and ViceVersa
  • Options
    mguymguy Member Posts: 167 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A router won't advertise routes it learns via iBGP to another iBGP neighbor.

Because in that case the above rule doesn't apply.

When in doubt, full-mesh your iBGP. :)

So this means all iBGP peers must be peered with the edge router (the router with an eBGP connection).

Thanks for the rule
  • Options
    mattaumattau Member Posts: 218
    if you want to use the general rule of ibgp peering like discussed, other wise make R2 a route reflector.