Options

encapsulation question

BGPBGP Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Dears,

I have tow router each router have one Ethernet interface and i tray to do do encapsulation between them but i couldn't

i don't know what is the problem the configuration is correct

is it applicable to do encapsulation on ethernet interface ???

thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    have tow router each router have one Ethernet interface and i tray to do do encapsulation between them but i couldn't
    What type of PDU are you attempting to encapsulate your data in? In IOS 12.4T, physical Ethernet interfaces do not support the "encapsulation" command, but there are many ways to encapsulate user data on them. Spend a bit of time explaining your purpose.
    i don't know what is the problem the configuration is correct
    We can check if you post "show run int <name>" for both devices.
  • Options
    What type of PDU are you attempting to encapsulate your data in? In IOS 12.4T, physical Ethernet interfaces do not support the "encapsulation" command, but there are many ways to encapsulate user data on them. Spend a bit of time explaining your purpose.

We can check if you post "show run int <name>" for both devices.

hi

both router are 3600 Software (C3640-JK9O3S-M), Version 12.4(10a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

and i configure Ethernet interface like this :

router 1
    interface Ethernet0/0.11
    encapsulation dot1Q 11 native
    ip address 10.11.11.1 255.255.255.0

router 2

interface Ethernet0/0.11
    encapsulation dot1Q 11 native
    ip address 10.11.11.2 255.255.255.0

and i conect them to switch and i do the trunking configuration correctly on the switch

i think the Ethernet interface not supporting encapsulation but i'm not sure

i try the same configuration on another 2 router which is have Fastethernet interface and it's working fine

please any suggestion

thank you
  • Options
    please any suggestion
    That portion of the configuration is fine. Can you post the full interface f0/0 config for those routers? E.g., "sh run | s interface FastEthernet0/0"

Next, we should consider the switch by either--
    (a) Removing the switch from the picture or
    (b) Posting full configs for both switchports as well as "show int <name> switchport".
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have you configured the fa 0/0 as a trunk?

Don't forget that the dot1q "encapsulation" is at layer 2, and the native VLAN is not tagged.

Technically, it's ISL that encapsulates the frame because it adds a new header and tail to the original frame.
  • Options
    MickQ wrote: »
    Don't forget that the dot1q "encapsulation" is at layer 2, and the native VLAN is not tagged.
    "Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

It's wonderfully ironic that all those encapsulation commands do not actually cause any extra encapsulation to be added when packets are sent out. :)
  • Options
    Hi ,

when i replace this routers with another routers have Fastethernet it's working fine,, but with router have ethernet interface it is not working

really i dont know what is the problem icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    RakuraiRakurai Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I believe that regular Ethernet interfaces can't do router on a stick, which is what you are trying to do.
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A quick googly goo...

NetVet - so poetic and humourous. You should have a warning sign; next time I'll remember to have put the drink down before reading your posts.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Rakurai wrote: »
    I believe that regular Ethernet interfaces can't do router on a stick, which is what you are trying to do.

Yeah, I think RoaS requires a minumum of a Fast Ethernet interface.