Do you really need SWITCH?

zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
I know it isn't a set in stone prereq, but all the official Cisco stuff recommends CCNA and CCNP SWITCH as a foundation for CCDA. Do you really need CCNP SWITCH level knowledge to fully grasp the CCDA? I am looking to start on another cert fresh off of my CCNA, and have been reading through Security, but the lack of being able to lab is getting me down. Should I shoot for CCDA which is a genuine interest for me, or keep pressing on with security? Thanks.

Comments

• hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Honestly, I would never argue with the recommendations from the vendor. If they are world-class leader in networking, then it's safe to assume they know what they are doing. Otherwise, we would have heard several criticisms by then. Right?
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    From what I've read on the cisco forums the CCDA should not be taken lightly.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/43073?tstart=0
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    Thanks for the input guys. I understand the CCDA is a beast and I wouldn't take it lightly. I actually have a genuine interest in this cert since I am a Business Project Management major. I was just curious because there is nothing in the exam objectives that even mentions switching, let alone CCNP level switching. Especially given that there is no labbing in the CCDA and no sims on the test, I trying to understand the recommendation and how closely it should be followed.
    I would think the CCDA is more of a review of all the technologies. Integration of what's out there, put it on a diagram and (in theory) make it work.

I remember reading a reply on the cisco forums, I can't find the reply for the life of me right now, that a poster stated he studied for 8 months for the CCDA. Then went on to saying that if he had his NP first, he could've done it in 2 months. Years ago.

I remember the response vividly because it was the first one that stated the "what if" to a time-span. Not just "It'll be longer" or "It's recommended". It was the experience of someone that took CCDA and CCNP then saying he should've done NP first, then DA.

While I'm not sure in what context. He might've gained more experience after he found work when he got his CCNP, making the DA a lot easier.

There's persons who suggest taking the other CCNA exams as well. Wireless, Security, Voice. I've heard the test includes data storage, too.

There's a lot of theory for a test that's all theory. It's hard to make out what's needed.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    I remember reading a reply on the cisco forums, I can't find the reply for the life of me right now, that a poster stated he studied for 8 months for the CCDA. Then went on to saying that if he had his NP first, he could've done it in 2 months. Years ago.
    This makes it sound like a worthwhile exam. Sigh, so little time, so many certifications! :)
    There's a lot of certifications. And if you just study the official exam guides it's barely scratching the surface of Cisco Press books :P

• azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Need SWITCH? No...
    Recommend you have SWITCH? Yes...

I passed my CCDA without SWITCH last year (8 weeks self study with the Cert Guide and INE VoD's). So while it is possible to get away without it, I would not take that path again. I had to take a lot of side roads to fill in the gaps (mostly VoD's) that SWITCH level knowledge would have covered, Etherchannel, SVI's and a deeper understanding of STP just to name a few, and I just grazed the surface to allow me to pass.
  • zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    Thanks Aza, that's the info I was looking for.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Having switch def helps. But also being able to memorise crappy facts, figures and acronyms for the exam helps :)

Its very important to get into the cisco way of thinking on this one.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking