SWITCH cleared

martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
hello my friends, long time no see.

just wanted to report in with SWITCH exam cleared today with a 934.

exam went very smooth, after all the bad stories i heard about SWITCH exam i am very glad that cisco
seems to made everything work just fine.

will be engaging TSHOOT now but first i`ll clear some beers icon_cheers.gif
And then, I started a blog ...

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    thanks rogue, how are you doing?

as i see in you sig you are on the security track now!? still woking on CCNP also?
    Nah. Not right now. I don't think it'll be right for me to go onto CCNP without having Cisco Hardware experience. That, and a job that I could use CCNP-Level knowledge. It's why I've been buying switches, first :)

I'm branching out to other entry-level exams. This should give me the experience to hone my studying, reading skills. I still have Linux+, Project+, JNCIA-JunOS and every other CCNA cert out there in my sights. I want the big picture of everything :D

I'm building a CCIE lab, actually:

2x 2610xm
    1x 2611xm
    3x 1841
    2x 2501
    1x 2522 (FrameRelay)

2x 3550 EMI
    2x 3560

I have the 3550 (See Signature link), Now Im holding out until I can get a 3560 :)

I'm glad Ive been buying switches, as it seems I'll need to go on my switches for this chapter I'm working on now.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

do you wanna engage the IE or why are you building such a big lab?

for switches, i used 2 3550 and 2 2950s at my home lab for the CCNP SWITCH exam - totally does the trick.
    no need to buy 3560 or above. for private vlans i used IOS on unix running in a VM ... its a bit tricky to setup but saves some bucks ;)
    It's go big, or go home, Martell1000. I want those digits. I can not be satisfied otherwise.

Everything I'm doing now is in preparation to learn and retain the information. It's why I've been obsessed with "How to study", "How to read", "How to retain". I also want to build the lab as a show and tell for a job interview. The other certifications are merely trial runs to see how I fair using different techniques. Security+, for example.

I plan to go to an interview, with pictures of my lab. Toss them on the table. Take off my Sun Glasses, as one does at an interview. And then say: This is what I got. At home. How much you paying me? I also have a leather jacket, no suit for my rebelness.

...That probably wouldn't go over too well, come to think of it. But I'll definitely have pictures.

Yeah. I've been considering using VirtualBox instead of another computer. But I think I'll probably need to upgrade my computer hardware before doing that. I know I'll need to plop down for another monitor, at least. As well as a nic (4 port). Not to mention my computer isn't enjoying the paces I put it through for simulating and emulation now. Its overheating and the thermal paste is on good/thin.

It's just a lot for me :D Overkill. Rather. Like I said: Go Big, or Go Home.

As for why I'm building it now: I'd rather buy once. It's why my switches have inline power... for Voice and Wireless (I think). If something blows up, I want to take it apart and find out why. :D

• wavewave Member Posts: 342
    Congrats!!!

What resources did you use to prepare? I'm taking SWITCH next week. You're the second person I've heard say that the exam seemed not to be buggy, which is very good to hear!

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
    TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
    Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP
  • al3kt.R***al3kt.R*** Member Posts: 118
    Nice job martell, and a great score too icon_thumright.gif
    "Tigranes: Good heavens! Mardonius, what kind of men have brought us to fight against? Men who do not compete for possessions, but for honour."--- Herodotus, The Histories
    "Nipson anomemata me monan opsin"--- Gregory of Nazianzus
    "Bruce Schneier's secure handshake is so strong, you won't be able to exchange keys with anyone else for days."--- Bruce Schneier Facts
    thanks.

@wave: CBT nuggets, official certification guide, home lab (2x 3550, 2x2950), ios on unix, ccnp switch lab manual and youtube
    how was the lab manual?

prepares you quiet nice for the labs on the exam. doing it with real gear is also a nice way to get an understanding for the technology...
  • wavewave Member Posts: 342
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    how was the lab manual?

It's great to have something to work from. I used the scenarios to create some more challenging exercises and I broke the topology then fixed it...and the lab manuals are available free online now, so why not!

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
    TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
    Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Congrats martell1000! I'm hoping to join you in SWITCH glory soon.. I've got my exam scheduled for 9/27, but might push it out just a liiiiitle bit further.

Anyways, well done and nice score to boot.
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi