Options

Which CCA Exam?

Hello,

Is there a specific entry level CCA exam to take for those new to Citrix?

I see exams for XenApp, XenDesktop, NetScaler, Provisioning Server, etc...

I'm going to be part of a rollout that incorporates all of these, and need to be CCA certified and I'm not sure which one to focus on.

Thanks!
WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

Comments

• Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I'd start with XenApp the move to NetScaler then XenDesktop/provisioning server go hand-in-hand. That's a lot to chew on for someone with no experience.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Xenapp and then XenDesktop. Findout if you will be using full Netscalers, VPXs, or Access Gateways. There is no longer an exam for Provisioning server, but it can be used with both XenApp and XenDesktop.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    Thanks for the replies! I will plan for the A20 then! Just so I can explain the logical reasoning to management for starting with XenApp first, could someone briefly explain the benefits for starting here over XenDesktop or XenServer?

Or is it simply a matter of ease?

2 Netscalers are being used for an HA pair.

Thanks again!
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    XenApp - Citrix main product. Been around the longest. More resources available for learning it.

You didn't mention XenServer originally. Because most of your deployment will be built on top of XenServer you may want to start there.

Having your Netscalers setup as a HA pair, doesn't explain how they are being used. There is a 5-day class for all the features of the netscaler. There used to be a 2 day class that just focused on the Access Gateway implentation

Take a look at the courses offered on Trainsignal. They cover XA, XD, and XS and there is an add on that covers provisioning.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    Awesome thanks for the reply. Oops didn't realize I left XenServer out. It doesn't actually specifically mention XenServer in the rollout documentation, but since something is required, I'm just assuming XenServer is being used over VSphere or Hyper-V. Still need to find out a lot of details.

I'm setting up a home lab so I can start testing out Citrix components. I have about 3 months to become familiar. I'd love to do trainsignal but it's a little pricey. We have a Skillport training at work but it has limited resources for Citrix. Would there be any books you would recommend? I was thinking of picking this one up.

In regards to how the Netscalers are being used, details are very vague at this point. Only details mention configure load balancing; configure access gateway, and implement ICA proxy for secure access client/XenApp plug-in client.