8P8C RJ45 connectors for Cat6/Cat6a cables

m4rtinm4rtin Member Posts: 170
As I have understood, Cat6 and Cat6a cables usually use 22AWG or 23AWG wires while Cat5e uses 24AWG wires. Am I correct that Cat6/Cat6a RJ45 jacks and connectors are not physically compatible with Cat5e RJ45 jacks and connectors because of the wire diameter? In addition, if there are both 22AWG and 23AWG Cat6 connectors and jacks out there, should one always check if it's for 22AWG or 23AWG wire or is the 0.071 mm(0.0027 inch) difference in diameter so small that one can ignore this?

Comments

• inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mrtin I believe the difference in the connectors is the spacing layout of the metal conductors is slightly offset from the standard rj45. That in some cases a cat6 connector will work in the cat 5 jack, but not always, and not recommended.

As far as 22 gauge and 24 gauge, I have not found that rfc.
  • m4rtinm4rtin Member Posts: 170
    Mrtin I believe the difference in the connectors is the spacing layout of the metal conductors is slightly offset from the standard rj45. That in some cases a cat6 connector will work in the cat 5 jack, but not always, and not recommended.As far as 22 gauge and 24 gauge, I have not found that rfc.
    I wrote to few manufacturers and looks like the Cat5e/Cat6/Cat6a RJ45 connectors support from 22AWG to 26AWG wires. This means that there should be no compatibility issues because of wire diameter. Or has anyone seen problems caused by wire diameter in practice?
  • MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I haven't come across the RFC wither, but the Cat6 I've been using is 23AWG at the thinnest.
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Mrtin I believe the difference in the connectors is the spacing layout of the metal conductors is slightly offset from the standard rj45. That in some cases a cat6 connector will work in the cat 5 jack, but not always, and not recommended.

As far as 22 gauge and 24 gauge, I have not found that rfc.

Cat6 wire into a Cat5e RJ45 is snug but it works. You can definitely tell a difference.
  • dead_p00ldead_p00l Member Posts: 136
    Cat6 doesn't have to use 22ga wire. It can use anywhere from 22-24. It all depends on if the Cat6 specifications can be met using a particular gauge. As far as connectors go they will all fit a standard rj45 port but the way the cable fits into the connector may be slightly different. See link below. I can say that we use standard rj45 (5e) connectors with cat6 cable frequently and with mostly UDP/RTP traffic and dont see any ill effects.

How to distinguish a Cat 6 plug from a Cat-5 or Cat-5E plug
    This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the
    beauty of the baud.
  • m4rtinm4rtin Member Posts: 170
    dead_p00l wrote: »
    Cat6 doesn't have to use 22ga wire. It can use anywhere from 22-24. It all depends on if the Cat6 specifications can be met using a particular gauge. As far as connectors go they will all fit a standard rj45 port but the way the cable fits into the connector may be slightly different. See link below. I can say that we use standard rj45 (5e) connectors with cat6 cable frequently and with mostly UDP/RTP traffic and dont see any ill effects.

How to distinguish a Cat 6 plug from a Cat-5 or Cat-5E plug

Nice article :) My outdoor 600MHz 23AWG Cat6a cable has all the eight wires in a single row: http://goo.gl/K46IJ However, I'm not sure if it is a Cat6/Cat6a RJ45 jack. I guess it is as it was connected in the factory icon_rolleyes.gif Just to be sure + gain some experience with Cat6a RJ45 connectors, I'll buy a pair of new Cat6a RJ45 connectors.