A+ Jeopardy

CoasttechCoasttech Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am studding for my A+ Hardware right now. I feel like I am studying for A+ Jeopardy and not relevant practical things that will help me in the work force. I used to think that people with there A+ new a lot of stuff …well they do …just not important stuff.

Comments

• TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, then don't take the test and quit studying for it. I'm not sure what type of response you are looking for, but from reading your comment it looks like you want to say the A+ exam is useless.
  • CoasttechCoasttech Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TeKniques wrote:
    Well, then don't take the test and quit studying for it.

lol... what?
    TeKniques wrote:
    I'm not sure what type of response you are looking for, but from reading your comment it looks like you want to say the A+ exam is useless.

I am not looking for a response, just giving my point of view. Like I said I am on just on the Hardware portion right now. There have been so many changes in industry standards in the consumer technological market that is not cover in this exam. It is kind of nice to know about old irrelevant technology but I don’t see a practical use for it. Sure I am learning theory (sort of) but it just gets way to deep into old news! I feel like I am wasting my brain cells to remember stuff that will only make me look smart around a bunch of geeks.
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    If you feel that way, why are you studying for it?

Your time might be better spent on MCSA studies.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
    I am studying for it because it is a starting point. I worked really hard to get funding to be here and when I am done I will have my CompTIA Hardware/OS/Network/Server and a Diploma. I had no idea how old and boring the CompTIA hardware would be.

My plan is when I am done this …get job …save money …take MCSE icon_wink.gif
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Excellent!

That's what I wanted to do--and it worked!

Good luck with your plans.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • DOn't worry, A+ will get more xciting once the updated exam rolls out icon_wink.gif
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry if I sounded a little too blunt with my first post. I just had the impression that you thought it was a pointless exam. There are a lot of people who feel that way unfortunately. I think you are on the right track of what you want to do.

Surely, the knowledge that you come away with from the A+ exams, even if it be basic PC repair stuff will be beneficial at some point in your IT career. The basics still apply to even the newer technology, and knowing the old stuff makes the transition to the new stuff a lot easier because you can see the changes and understand what has changed or will be changed.

Good luck to you.
    DOn't worry, A+ will get more xciting once the updated exam rolls out icon_wink.gif

LOL ...well not for me. I will have written my test by then!
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Coasttech wrote:
    ...I used to think that people with there A+ new a lot of stuff …well they do …just not important stuff.

icon_rolleyes.gif

I've read the posts since this one, but I was initially thinking this was going to turn pretty ugly.

I really do wish people (and this is in general, if it applies fine, if it doesn't it's not meant toward you in particular) would get some job experience (and it is possible to have a job in a computer shop WITHOUT an A+, and see what comes in the door for service work.

The other thing is how many systems computer stores sell (used) that are meant to e-mail/word processor type boxes. If one isn't familar with the older technology, then they have limited ability to work with it.

It's important or it wouldn't be on the objectives.

My 5 cents.

Anyway, Coasttech, best wishes on your studies and your plans on MSCE.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Plantwiz wrote:
    I've read the posts since this one, but I was initially thinking this was going to turn pretty ugly.

I really do wish people (and this is in general, if it applies fine, if it doesn't it's not meant toward you in particular) would get some job experience (and it is possible to have a job in a computer shop WITHOUT an A+, and see what comes in the door for service work.

The other thing is how many systems computer stores sell (used) that are meant to e-mail/word processor type boxes. If one isn't familar with the older technology, then they have limited ability to work with it.

It's important or it wouldn't be on the objectives.

My 5 cents.

Anyway, Coasttech, best wishes on your studies and your plans on MSCE.

Well I find for my self, I have been working with computers since Oregon Trail on the Apple II. I just moved to go to school and have been here for 6 months. Before that for the last 4 years I have been working as a computer technician for the Government of Canada and was running a successful computer consulting business on the side. I personally have worked with a fair amount of old computers and find as long as you are intelligent and have good problem solving skills (and Google) you’re good to go. I was doing fine before I had to learn all this none irrelevant pld information…

but I realize in order to go to the next level it takes learning this information.

This will of course change soon, with the release of CompTIA 2.0. Sooo I am not that far off of what I am talking about. Dat be why day updaten da info mon! (sorry listening to reggae right now)

Thank you for all your best wishes as well. I got some big plans when I am done school and will need the luck!
  • midulstermidulster Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    nobody would know what to study if they updated the questions on the exam all the time. they need to stick to some kind of objectives
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Coasttech wrote:
    but I realize in order to go to the next level it takes learning this information.

This will of course change soon, with the release of CompTIA 2.0. Sooo I am not that far off of what I am talking about. Dat be why day updaten da info mon! (sorry listening to reggae right now)

If you desire a track in MSCE you do not need to invest time in A+. I know a good number of MSCE's and CISCO people who never bothered with A+. It is not a requirement, and if its not something you ultimately desire in your career you may wish to focus your time on things that will aid you in your career path.

BTW - what is CompTIA 2.0? Never heard of it. The A+ exam is currently on it's third revision (220-231 & 220-232). Not sure what 2.0 is and would like to.

Thanks
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Plantwiz wrote:

BTW - what is CompTIA 2.0? Never heard of it. The A+ exam is currently on it's third revision (220-231 & 220-232). Not sure what 2.0 is and would like to.

Thanks

Umm.. ya ..was ment to be funny ..there up dateing it so ya CompTIA 2.0?? come on man ..your killin me here!
    Plantwiz wrote:
    If you desire a track in MSCE you do not need to invest time in A+. I know a good number of MSCE's and CISCO people who never bothered with A+. It is not a requirement, and if its not something you ultimately desire in your career you may wish to focus your time on things that will aid you in your career path.

sigh ....if you read up you will see why I am in A+ and what I plan on doing with it.

Also I am pretty sure A+ will help me in my career path! ..lol