Name Needed

PavlovPavlov Member Posts: 264
I have just added a new bird to my flock :D I think it's a girl but we'll find out for sure. She's just 3 months old but won't grow any bigger. She needs a name (preferaly gender neutral). Check her out here Hawkhead Parrot and let me know what you think of her (or him) icon_wink.gif

And just so you see what she/he will be living with, you can check out the sister Tiki here Blue & Gold Macaw

Any name suggestions are certainly welcome - my husband and I are having a hard time finding the right name for this little critter.

The hawkhead can be a fiesty bird or quite sedate and just sit there with you quietly cooing. Already will lay flat on his/her back in the palm of the hand - more pictures will follow as she grows more comfortable in the new surroundings. But the above link is just the first few pics to show friends and family what we got here :D
Pavlov
A+, Net+, i-Net+, CIW-A
MCP NT4, MCSA 2K, MCSE 2K

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Beautiful pictures Pavlov.

Always hard to find a good name... does it need to be a name she can pronounce? I mean do you teach them to talk...?

We named our cat Zelda, here's a picture of her:

zelda.jpg

As you can see on the picture and my avatar we got the same eyes icon_lol.gif
  • PavlovPavlov Member Posts: 264
    Very cute - the dog is still unsure of how she likes this invasion of feathers in HER house icon_lol.gif

I don't think she needs to be able to say her own name but it can help with training. Since her name is something she'll hear all the time.

So far I'm thinking of "Boo" or "Button" or "Patch", but none really certain. Still too stunned with the change in environment to let the personality out yet I think. Although, they are both in their respective cages crunching on some nuts and seeds now.

You can see in the picture where she's on the end of my hand how tiny this bird is compared to a Macaw so they will make quite a pair here icon_lol.gif
    Pavlov
    A+, Net+, i-Net+, CIW-A
  • bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    well, there's always hawkeye. or you could choose something i.t.-orientated like bill, gates, comptia, cisco. something that you know is phonetically possible in that breed of bird would be cool.

my wife's uncle had a budgie called charlie. it was probably named after my father-in-law. anyway, when my father-in-law went visiting his brother, the bird would say, "hello charlie." until his dying day he did not understand that the bird was not talking to him for real, but repeating the words of his owner saying hello to him!
    A+ Moderator
    Well the little hawkhead is doing very well - it eats like a pig! I actually considered if it's a girl calling it Miss Piggy icon_lol.gif

I think, honestly, if it's a girl we're gonna' call her Bijou and if it's a boy we'll call him Stash.

Still waiting for sexing results... icon_rolleyes.gif
    Pavlov
    A+, Net+, i-Net+, CIW-A
  • thecomeonsthecomeons Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    is it not like cats and dogs where the sex of the animal depends on whether if rattles when shaken?
    Nope - I wish it were that easy - the only way to sex a bird is through a DNA/blood test icon_confused.gif And it's not cheap either icon_mad.gif
    Pavlov
    A+, Net+, i-Net+, CIW-A
  • AntiochmanAntiochman Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Pavlov, can't you tell the sex of the bird by the color of the nose?
    To learn is life, living is putting to use what you have learned, death is when this process stops!
  • bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    Pavlov wrote:
    Nope - I wish it were that easy - the only way to sex a bird is through a DNA/blood test icon_confused.gif And it's not cheap either icon_mad.gif

your bird does not cheep?
    A+ Moderator
    Bird turned out to be a GIRL!!!!

We named her Bijou and she doesn't cheep - she screams like a hawk icon_eek.gif
    Pavlov
    A+, Net+, i-Net+, CIW-A