70-685, Am I Ready?

bob19889bob19889 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all, I've been studying for the 70-685 for about three months now. I have my MCTS:Configuring Windows 7 certification already so if I get this new one I will be an MCITP. I've taken the following two practice tests so far and here were my results...

200 question quiz that came with the official MS 70-685 Press Book and is powered by Measure Up: Result=85%

50 question quiz that came with Darril Gibson's Windows 7 Desktop Support and Administration (70-685 and 70-686): Result=90%

So do you think I would be safe going for the actual test now? Or should I wait? The areas I am weakest on are Security and Networking which I am continually studying.

Comments

• IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Schedule the exam - there are not many greater motivating factors to study that a fixed exam date.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Did you set up a lab? If not, I'd set up a lab with Server 2008 R2 and 2 clients and go through the exam objectives, making sure you can do everything listed.

Between Darril's book and the MS press book, you should be good to go. Those are the books I used, along with Technet to supplement anything not covered.
  • bob19889bob19889 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies. I did set up a lab with a trial version of Server 2008R2 and four Windows 7 Enterprise clients, and I completed all the exercises in both books, except for one optional exercise that involved setting up a Direct Access infrastructure. I would have done this but I don't have a system with enough RAM to run the 6 virtual machines that it recomended icon_sad.gif

So have any of you taken the 70-685 and/or read the MS Press book or Darril Gibson's book? If you took either of the practice tests would you mind telling me if you thought they were easier, harder, or about the same difficulty as the actual test?
  • neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    Schedule the exam - there are not many greater motivating factors to study that a fixed exam date.

Agree, especially if the exam was paid for by yourself :)
    Alright, I'm scheduled to take the exam on the 1st of October :). Any suggestions for things to to read from technet? My weaker areas from the practice tests are..."Identifying Cause of and Resolving Security Issues" 82%, "Identifying Cause of and Resolving Network Issues" 81%, and "Supporting Mobile Users" 88%
  • DEC901DEC901 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I want expect it to be what I'm looking for but is Mr Gibson's guide what it looks to be? I'm just about to purchase it.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    bob19889 wrote: »
    Alright, I'm scheduled to take the exam on the 1st of October :). Any suggestions for things to to read from technet? My weaker areas from the practice tests are..."Identifying Cause of and Resolving Security Issues" 82%, "Identifying Cause of and Resolving Network Issues" 81%, and "Supporting Mobile Users" 88%

I'd go through the exam objectives that correspond to those areas and focus on them. You might also check out Tony Northrup's site, Windows Vista and Windows 7 Help. I used it for some of the server studies, but it should help for this exam, too.
    DEC901 wrote: »
    I want expect it to be what I'm looking for but is Mr Gibson's guide what it looks to be? I'm just about to purchase it.

Darril Gibson's book is great but DON'T use it as your only source of study for either the 70-685 or 70-686. It alone will not prepare you for either test well enough. I've been using both Darril's book along with the MS Press book for 70-685 so hopefully between the two I'll be good to go when I take my test. Also, in my opinion, Darril's book tends to give you more of an overview look at things, whereas the MS Press books tend to go more in depth in different areas.
  • BudzyBudzy Member Posts: 117
    Good luck with the exam, if you pass it you should also earn an MCSA in Windows 7. I did the upgrade exam that covers material from both the 680 and 685. I do recall the 685 section being a harder exam (longer questions etc), but I'm sure with the practice test scores you're getting you should be good. As others have said, keep up labbing in your virtual environment.
  • rejazrejaz Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When I took my MCITP I used Darril Gibsons sybex book and the CBT Nuggets in all fairness they were okay, I also used Measure up which werent a big help because some of the questions within Measureup were completely irrelevant to the preparation of the exam. My best advise for the exam is read the questions properly and be prepared for scenario based questions.

Any questions give me a shout :)
  • DEC901DEC901 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Fortunately, my present employer has supplied some resources as well as a voucher for the exam of my choice (680 or 685)!!! My expectation from Mr Gibson's book is that it will be the complement I believe it to be!!! Thanks for the information.
    UPDATE:

I took the test last Monday and passed! Got a score of 746, which isn't great but I had a little bit of wiggle room at least. I was just thrilled to pass the first try after having to take the 70-680 three times to pass. I'd say the exams are similar in difficulty though. The thing that helped me pass this one the first time I think was having two books to study instead of just one like I did for the 70-680. Anyways, for others studying for this test, I would definitely recommend Darril Gibson's book and the official MS Press book for the 70-685. They definitely worked for me.

Thanks for the tips and help everyone :)
  • neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    Well done, good job :)

I've got mine in three week's time.
  • bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bob19889 wrote: »
    UPDATE:

I took the test last Monday and passed! Got a score of 746, which isn't great but I had a little bit of wiggle room at least. I was just thrilled to pass the first try after having to take the 70-680 three times to pass. I'd say the exams are similar in difficulty though. The thing that helped me pass this one the first time I think was having two books to study instead of just one like I did for the 70-680. Anyways, for others studying for this test, I would definitely recommend Darril Gibson's book and the official MS Press book for the 70-685. They definitely worked for me.

Thanks for the tips and help everyone :)

Did you supplement with Video's and Labs? Or was it just the two books?
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • ScOULarisScOULaris Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great job on the pass!

I just barely came up short on my first attempt at the 685 (I think I scored a 640), and my second try is tomorrow. Wish me luck!

I had expected the 685 to be easier than the 680, but from my experience it was the harder of the two due to the longer, scenario-based questions. Let that be a word of caution to those of you preparing for the 685: don't sleep on it! It's a beast.