Getting certifications and degrees

klhatchettklhatchett Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Whenever I tell people that I plan on getting my Network+ and Security+ certifications within the spring/summer, I always get this look 0_o or icon_twisted.gif. and they tell me those are not going to benefit me much and to only go after the CISSP because apparently that's the only thing that matters in life (sarcasm), Just wanted to know how you guys felt on the subject? Am I wasting my time or am I being smart by going after certifications, because I thought that recently a degree just isn't cutting it and certifications and mostly experience are what are landing people jobs and internships right out of college.

I am an Information Security student by the way, so I can see why they make faces at the Security+ but it wouldn't hurt to try...now would it?
Look me up on LinkedIn, Lets Connect! http://www.linkedin.com/in/klhatchett92

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    klhatchett wrote: »
    Whenever I tell people that I plan on getting my Network+ and Security+ certifications within the spring/summer.. they tell me those are not going to benefit me much.. Am I wasting my time or am I being smart by going after certifications,
    That entirely depends on the role and level of position you want when you graduate. I never looked at government security roles, and CompTIA was too basic for the roles I was looking at. Figure out where you want to go, and then what you need to do to get there. Your path and goals may be totally different than those of your classmates, and that's alright. :)
    to only go after the CISSP because apparently that's the only thing that matters in life (sarcasm),
    If your classmates can qualify for a CISSP, that's really wonderful for them! Do the best you can with what you have to work with, and don't sweat the rest.
  • klhatchettklhatchett Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I figured that, just tired of the looks I receive from them when I tell them my plans, makes me feel like I'm speaking another language or something, I am really looking at the certifications because since I really do not have much experience I know they are a good start to making my way to the top :D
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    klhatchett wrote: »
    I figured that, just tired of the looks I receive from them when I tell them my plans...
    Have you tried telling them what you want to do, and then asking for suggestions? If they suggest the CISSP, just tell them you don't yet meet the experience requirement.
  • klhatchettklhatchett Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I have...all I get is
    "well get the CISSP"
    a couple of them already have guaranteed jobs with the government once they graduate (nsf cybercorps scholarship I believe), so I see why they do not think its that necessary to get anything, I do not have the scholarship so I need to explore all my options hahaha
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Don't worry about your classmates, it's your career and your decision. If you can study and pass the CISSP then go for it. If you feel that you need more background (depends on your experience), then study Sec+ and Net+.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Here's my $.02 on CompTIA certs. Skip them unless they meet a requirement (i.e. DoD 8570). If they meet a requirement, go for it because it'll be the easiest way to meet the requirement.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • clarknovaclarknova Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I did the Security+ and enjoyed studying it. I thought I learned quite a bit, there's no point in aiming straight for the higher level certifications without having a solid foundation.

Your situation is a bit like when I told a co-worker that I was doing the CCENT exam and he suggested I go straight for the CCNP. I decided he was a bit out of touch with the necessary knowledge to pass these exams! Sure, one day I'd like to get to CCNP but to go straight in would be a waste of time and money.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    With the NSF Cybercorps scholarship it isn't a job guarantee but a requirement of service on a year for year basis depending on how many years you received the scholarship. They would still be short on the requirements for the CISSP and could only get an Associates of CISSP until they can fulfill the 5 year requirement. I would imagine that they would still be subject to DoD 8570 and would need a minimum of Sec+ for their job roles within the government.

I would say ... Go ahead and get the Net+ and Sec+ to go along with your degree, it can't hurt. I would also look into GIAC certs for the field of security that you are planning on going into. No one should ever say that you have to get a CISSP in order to get into info sec. Down the line yes but not fresh out of college.
  • Complete_IT_ProfessionalComplete_IT_Professional Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    eansdad wrote: »
    Go ahead and get the Net+ and Sec+ to go along with your degree, it can't hurt. I would also look into GIAC certs for the field of security that you are planning on going into. No one should ever say that you have to get a CISSP in order to get into info sec. Down the line yes but not fresh out of college.

eansdad sums it up well. I think these two certifications wont hurt. The CISSP asks for a fair bit of experience, more than the average student. It's a great certification to aim for and to have as a goal though!
    I run CompleteITProfessional.com - a website dedicated to helping IT professionals improve their careers.