Options

Windows Server 2012 Books Which is better?

I am been caught up with VMWare for some time now and had no time to check out the MS Press releases in the past month or so. All of a sudden there is a glut in the market for Server 2012 books and I realized I better start planning something around Server 2012.
A brief outline, I have completed MCSA 2008 or MCITP:SA and I am now looking to upgrade to MCSA 2012 sometime in Jan next year. I usually keep an eye on the preparation material a few months in advance to ensure I get the best deal possible and have everything ready for when I start studying.
I am confused at this point about the following books and require some expert opinion
1. Windows Server 2012 Unleashed
2. Mastering Windows Server 2012
I loved the Windows Server 2008 R2 Unleashed book and it became my go to reference book while preparing for MCSA 2008 exam on the other hand I did go to Minasi's website to check out queries quite a few times as well.
I don't like to purchase books just for certification (in this case MCTS Study Guide 70-417) as they loose value for me after completing the exam. I prefer those books which I can refer to in the future as well.
In most likelihood I will purchase only one of these books, any inputs will be much appreciated
[h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you like Minasi's style, go with his book. I liked his Windows Server 2003 book, but didnt use the 2008 one. The Unleashed Server 2008 book was pretty good and I used it here and there when preparing for the EA.

Honestly though, I'd not buy any book at all. It's all there on TechNet, free, always available, comprehensive, correct and from MS themselves. I did not pick use any other resource for the EA apart from the Nuggets.

You already have the SA, you are acclimatised to these exams and I dont think you need any books either. But if you like having a book to refer to, pick the Unleashed book and just the pdf. The print version is a tome!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Also check out the Microsoft Virtual Academy. I've been checking this out for Server 2012 and it looks good.
    Microsoft Virtual Academy - Free Microsoft Technologies Training
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    O your still alive eh earweed! You dropped off the surface of the earth for a while...
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    Yup registered there but never used it too much, thanks earweed will have a look see
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Another resource i have been following informally is the Windows Server 2012 "Early Experts" Challenge.

i'm rolling in the deep with CISSP but Win 2012 keeps calling my name.
  • Options
    saflyfishsaflyfish Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Essendon
    I see you are very knowledgeable about the microsoft learning and exams system.
    May i email you for advice?
  • Options
    saflyfishsaflyfish Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    may i email you?