CCIE Notes and Flashcards

vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey guys...i'm back after a long summer break. Finished my CCNP in May and took off a few months from studying to recharge for a run at the CCIE. I'm still just in the planning phase at this point as I know this may take me a few years with a wife and two little ones. What I'm trying to figure out before I start studying for the written is the best notetaking software to use.

Here are my requirements:

1) Synch data between all platforms
2) I want to be able to transition into Lab prep with the same software for notes and flashcards and not have to readjust midstream.
3) All my devices are Android or Windows 7 based, so those are the platforms I need to support.

The two I'm looking at and trying are

Evernote for notes

Anki for Flashcards (I used Mnemonesyne for the CCNP and it was good but I want to try some others)

What say you TE?
Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...

Comments

• SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    I've used EverNote for a long time, During my CWTS/CWNA/CCDP/CCIP/CCIE studies I find it great since it syncs to my phone and I can quickly refresh myself on notes at anytime no matter where I am got Evernote on my Personal & work laptop, along with phone.

I've actually never used flash cards, I'm pretty quick with the memorization icon_smile.gif
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I second Evernote and I'm using that for my PMP studies. I have Evernote on my Windows XP workstation at work, Windows 7 laptop at home, Android Tablet and Android Phone. Minus your flashcard requirements (which I hardly use), it does everything you're asking for and is the best app on Android! (Plus Dropbox.)

Whatever you're studying for, CCIE, grad school, PMP, whatever...Evernote is the best free app ever!
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Whatever you're studying for, CCIE, grad school, PMP, whatever...Evernote is the best free app ever!

For CCIE I vote for flash cards and a spaced-repetition system, such as those provided by Anki, Supermemo, Mnemosyne, or Leitner. The primary challenge isn't learning all the content an expert-level networking engineer should know; it's efficiently retaining it so you're not left with a mushy "I can look it up on Google" mentality that won't impress or solve problems effectively. I have a ~2,000 card deck and 92% recall. It's a solid foundation, but I still have so far to go. :)
  • PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    There is an Andoird/iPhone app that is $3.82 and a flashcard app.. I bought it since it was cheap.. and I'm thoroughly impressed! The majority of the flash card decks you find pre-made seem to be a bit out of date.. but his were quite good and thorough. In the past I was using Anki and Daniel's set (which is also really good)
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Plazma wrote: »
    Daniel's set (which is also really good)
    A 500-card deck seems a bit on the short-side, no? I'd add any unique material he has to my much larger deck if he had them available in a universal file format.
    in the 500 cards it's a good amount of breadth.. and it shouldn't be the only thing you use as a reference.. for me a fellow ccie candidate suggested it and it was cheap enough... so I went for it and am happy.

The only downside is as you said, you can't add your own content to it.. BUT that's where Anki comes into play.. it's great! It's free, it syncs and runs on multiple devices..
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • EildorEildor Member Posts: 444
    A 500-card deck seems a bit on the short-side, no? I'd add any unique material he has to my much larger deck if he had them available in a universal file format.

Are you able to share your deck? The available decks are far too small, doesn't cover enough.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Eildor wrote: »
    Are you able to share your deck? The available decks are far too small, doesn't cover enough.
    I too want to see his big deck. *unsure*
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
    The "500" deck I got cost money and I can't really share it since it's only for iphone or android .. it's cheap $3.82 and totally worth it

iphone:

App Store - CCIE Flashcards

Android:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.initialDraft.flashcard&feature=nav_other#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDYsIm9yZy5pbml0aWFsRHJhZnQuZmxhc2hjYXJkIl0.
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • EildorEildor Member Posts: 444
    Plazma wrote: »
    The "500" deck I got cost money and I can't really share it since it's only for iphone or android .. it's cheap $3.82 and totally worth it

iphone:

App Store - CCIE Flashcards

Android:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.initialDraft.flashcard&feature=nav_other#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDYsIm9yZy5pbml0aWFsRHJhZnQuZmxhc2hjYXJkIl0.

I have it, but I want something that goes into more depth.
  • kad5118kad5118 Banned Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    are the ccie flash cards helpful
  • sbmickesbmicke Registered Users Posts: 1 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Time to get active, my first post icon_smile.gif

I'm struggling with how to design my card's, anyone have some good examples?
  • coca2000coca2000 Banned Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I have created 1000+ study cards found online when you Google for "APP-FREE" CCIE RS v4 v5 studyflash cards.

also found here colin.cant.ch under the projects section.

Basically I had to come up with a solution in order to keep all the nibbly things fresh in mind. Studying for x month, you tend to forget the details you have looked at a the beginning of your ccie trail.

Plus i had to put it into a form i could remember better, which brings me to the critical point. If my version of flash cards is any use for you that's cool. but its best to create your own set of summary/flashcards what ever as you may learn different then how I learn.

I just thought it may be valuable to other CCIE students as i think its quite rich in information content.

let me know if this was the inspiration you where looking for.

Colin
  • Roy4USARoy4USA Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anki - powerful, intelligent flashcards You can create your own flash cards and also access others that are shared online.

Added this below:
    https://ankiweb.net/shared/decks/cisco
  • coca2000coca2000 Banned Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Roy,

we are working on it to get it into ANKI, but the "document" is subject to change without notice... due to our own CCIE studies..

Due to the long and necessary hours to "earn" the CCIE, you can imagine that converting my scribble file into an ANKI version is not on top of the priority list.

It will happen finally, but I can not guarantee by what date.