Options

Ideal router for small dmvpn spokes

phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
I might be a part of my first small dmvpn project in the next 6-9 months.

Info given to me so far:
  • 1 hub, 15 spokes
  • Each spoke will have no more than 10 users
  • VoIP, access to ERP database at hq, and internet are the only major services
  • Spokes might need to talk to each other
  • Each spoke will have either cable or (a/s)dsl
I'm working with another individual who suggests getting 871w or 877w for each spoke. Hub will be a 2911.

My questions for right now:
  1. Will an 871w work with cable and dsl?
  2. Will an 877w work with cable and dsl?
  3. Will a 1921 or 2801 be a better choice for the spokes?
The PM is trying to keep costs as low as possible.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    hi phoeneous,

I was actually working on a similar project a few years ago that I unfortunately never left the design phase of due to the company deciding this was no longer necessary.

Both of the spoke routers you reference are I believe EOS/EOL so unless you already have them I would look at the routers on this page here:
    Cisco 800 Series Routers Compare Models - Cisco Systems

I have a good bit of experience with the 881/881w where I maintained a similar design you are looking to do, but it terminated on an ASA. Any of those on there should be able to do the job in most cases.

If you're stuck with those models this page will show you what supports what whether its cable or ADSL - Cisco 870 Series Integrated Services Routers for Small Offices* [Cisco 800 Series Routers] - Cisco Systems

As for the hub router I was looking for a spec sheet I had looked at before that was specifically for the ISR G2s, but can't seem to find it. I'd be willing to be just by looking at this older spec sheet that the 1921 could potentially outperform the 2801.

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

If I find the other performance spec sheet I'm referring to I will post a link to it, hope some of this info helps.

Good Luck!

KCCO :)
  • Options
    shednik wrote: »
    hi phoeneous,

I was actually working on a similar project a few years ago that I unfortunately never left the design phase of due to the company deciding this was no longer necessary.

Both of the spoke routers you reference are I believe EOS/EOL so unless you already have them I would look at the routers on this page here:
    Cisco 800 Series Routers Compare Models - Cisco Systems

I have a good bit of experience with the 881/881w where I maintained a similar design you are looking to do, but it terminated on an ASA. Any of those on there should be able to do the job in most cases.

If you're stuck with those models this page will show you what supports what whether its cable or ADSL - Cisco 870 Series Integrated Services Routers for Small Offices* [Cisco 800 Series Routers] - Cisco Systems

As for the hub router I was looking for a spec sheet I had looked at before that was specifically for the ISR G2s, but can't seem to find it. I'd be willing to be just by looking at this older spec sheet that the 1921 could potentially outperform the 2801.

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

If I find the other performance spec sheet I'm referring to I will post a link to it, hope some of this info helps.

Good Luck!

KCCO :)

Thanks shednik.

The PM chose the 871w and 877w because I think they already have them from previous use.

And the 870 model matrix doesn't really explain much. They way I ready it is:

871 and the 877 can be used with cable AND dsl. The only exception is that the 877 has a dedicated dsl port. But if I had an 871 behind a dsl modem, cant I just connect the dsl modems ethernet interface to one of the ethernet interfaces on the 871?
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Thanks shednik.

The PM chose the 871w and 877w because I think they already have them from previous use.

And the 870 model matrix doesn't really explain much. They way I ready it is:

871 and the 877 can be used with cable AND dsl. The only exception is that the 877 has a dedicated dsl port. But if I had an 871 behind a dsl modem, cant I just connect the dsl modems ethernet interface to one of the ethernet interfaces on the 871?

Just checked the page again, it says it's a 10/100 Switch so in theory yes you could by making a vlan for the WAN and then another vlan for the inside network each with an SVI. Are you planning on using public addressing or will the DSL Modem/Router be doing a NAT?
  • Options
    shednik wrote: »
    Just checked the page again, it says it's a 10/100 Switch so in theory yes you could by making a vlan for the WAN and then another vlan for the inside network each with an SVI. Are you planning on using public addressing or will the DSL Modem/Router be doing a NAT?

I assume in most cases it'll be NAT from the isp modem or the modem will be in bridge mode and my router will just get it from dhcp. But isn't the beauty of dmvpn in that you don't have to have the public ip known on your spokes, just the hub?
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    I assume in most cases it'll be NAT from the isp modem or the modem will be in bridge mode and my router will just get it from dhcp. But isn't the beauty of dmvpn in that you don't have to have the public ip known on your spokes, just the hub?

I'd have to read up on it again for that, I know it's no issue on ezvpn using a dynamic crypto map but it's been too long since I've looked at anything dmvpn for me to recall how it's exactly configured.