Differences between Microsoft and Cisco certs

draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
I just got my network+ cert and I'm already thinking about what's next. Would it be a better idea to just finish the last comptia cert (security+) or should I move on to other certifications? I'm thinking of the MCP or [FONT=arial, sans-serif]CCENT as next steps. Again though my question would be: should get Security + first or spend my time on something else? Last, what are the main differences between those certs?

[/FONT]

Comments

• ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    What area are you interested in ?

Security+ - security
    Cisco - networking
    MS - Server/SQL/Windows Admin,dev etc
  • draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd say security but that's tricky because I'm absolutely not a programmer and I'd guess some programming ability would be needed at higher levels. As for networking I find it interesting too although I have a lot more to learn. I visited a data center and got to talk with the person that ran it for a while so I've seen a small amount of a system admin does.

I can't say the same for networking or security though that's why I'm trying to figure this out.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    If you're looking for a comparison, I found it helpful to think about the two paths this way:

Microsoft certifications expand on what you learned in the A+ material: managing computers (mostly servers), working with operating systems, sometimes opening the boxes and working with hardware, and definitely a lot of application and other software installation, troubleshooting, and upgrading. There are some major specializations, like working with Exchange, SQL Server, or SharePoint, but it all builds and depends on the knowledge you gain in working with Windows Server and/or Windows clients like Vista, 7, or 8.

Have a look at this site for an overview of some certifications to start studying for if you're interested in Microsoft technologies.

Cisco certifications expand on what you learned for the Network+ exam: subnetting, routing, switching, working with networking devices and managing traffic. The focus isn't on servers or end-users, but on the underlying networks and the technologies that make data flow of the wire. You'll also see things like voice, wireless, and storage networking, which are all fairly specialized, but have their roots in the fundamental routing and switching material of the CCNA.

More information about Cisco's various certifications, (including the CCENT and CCNA certifications,) can be found here.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do the security + then move straight into CCENT then CCNA. These will build a great foundation to take you in any direction.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    Microsoft certifications expand on what you learned in the A+ material...
    Cisco certifications expand on what you learned for the Network+ exam...

I like that explanation. I will use it in the future.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    It sounds like you are ready for the next set of certifications. Here is my advice: do not underestimate the Active Directory test or the client exam through Microsoft. Don't bother with the CCENT, take the composite exam and get it done.
  • draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the great feedback! I'm going to have take some time to think about which certification to pursue next. I've been considering the CCNA most of all because it seems like that certification is the highest in demand and well respected. Although I can say I'd probably like working in data center and I've heard server admins make extremely good money. Thing is, the most hands on experience I've had with networking is my home router so it's hard for me to compare the two.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Slowhand made some really good points as did the others. One thing no one really touched on is security. If you wish to go into security you would need a knowledge of the MS, Cisco, and some programming. Add to this a thorough knowledge of Linux and at least some knowledge of other OS's.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.