Passed ICND1. Now studying for ICND2

canojcanoj Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Studied for ICND1 for a few weeks. I was already familiar with cisco router and switches and basic basic networking fundamentals. First attempt on test got 912.

Went straight into ICND2. Before studying, I already knew VLans, vtp, stp, vlsm, eigrp, ospf (of course I'm still going to lab lab lab these subjects but I won't have to devote as much time to them) so I'm thinking I can take the test in a month.

I have the cisco press books by Odom, 101 labs for the ccna exam, cbt nuggets, and someone I work with who is already ccna giving me lessons on my lunch.

Any other tips for me?

Comments

• IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    canoj wrote: »
    Studied for ICND1 for a few weeks. I was already familiar with cisco router and switches and basic basic networking fundamentals. First attempt on test got 912.

Went straight into ICND2. Before studying, I already knew VLans, vtp, stp, vlsm, eigrp, ospf (of course I'm still going to lab lab lab these subjects but I won't have to devote as much time to them) so I'm thinking I can take the test in a month.

I have the cisco press books by Odom, 101 labs for the ccna exam, cbt nuggets, and someone I work with who is already ccna giving me lessons on my lunch.

Any other tips for me?

icon_redface.gif you're clowning people here, me included in terms of your fabuloso progress versus our regression..i cannot tell a lie. any chance you can share your knowledge with me? also, how did you know WAN topics before you even labbed them? I do not like Odom past about Chapter 5. I do have Nuggets but haven't watched them and am enrolled in Cisco IV which I am not enamored on their materials and the instructor is mediocre.
  • Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • canojcanoj Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The reason I have a decent grasp on some of these subjects is because of my job. I'm a 25n in the army and all I work with is cisco devices plus a few other vendor networking devices. About two months ago, they sent me to a class where all we did was eigrp, ospf, bgp, vpn, plus a few other subjects. Got my net+ and sec+ in highschool so I already knew the basics. Other than that, I don't really have secret. I'm away from my family so I have all the time in the world to study.

I want to enroll in the cisco iv program so I can get some extra hardware experience. I probably won't though due to the cost.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    canoj wrote: »
    Any other tips for me?

If you have experience with OSPF, EIGRP, and BGP.. consider blowing past the CCNA in a weekend or so and focusing on your CCNP. That's what I did earlier this year. :)
  • jonragejonrage Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you have experience with OSPF, EIGRP, and BGP.. consider blowing past the CCNA in a weekend or so and focusing on your CCNP. That's what I did earlier this year. :)

yeah man, if you have that much free time and experience, you can do it in a month or less. the people that take 2 and 3 months may have full time jobs and family responsibilities that prevent them from studying as much as they would like. everyone also moves at a different pace. set the goal for a month. when the time comes, if ur ready take it if not reschedule.

i passed my ccent and went home the same day and started studying icnd2. i'm only working part time right now so i have a lot of time to study. and even though the icnd2 topics are new to me i really feel that i'll be ready in about another 3 weeks. i put in over 30 hours a week studying and i brainwash myself with the topics. videos, books, mp3s, lab, practice exams. but only you know when ur ready. so if you feel confident you should do it.