Linux or Unix? Which is easier?

traceyketraceyke Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
Summary of my Linux knowledge/experience: Five months ago I've installed Linux Mint 12 onto a partition on my home PC and sucessfully connected it to the wireless network .......haven't touched it since icon_redface.gif

Summary of my Unix knowledge/experience: It was developed in the 1960s..........it has something to do with Linux (I think)..........and I have no clue on how to began to learn this alien OS.

Despite all of this, I really want (possibly need) to develop a working knowledge of both in the very near future. So how do I start? Where do I begin? What do I need to do (or download)? And how difficult is it to learn them? I know that by downloading and installing Mint 12, I've took the perverbial "first step". Should I be even using Mint? Should I be using another distro?

So sorry for all the questions icon_cry.gif

Comments

• MutataMutata Member Posts: 176
    Linux is actually a derivative of Unix :D.

Firstly, I think you should determine what kind of working knowledge you need. Will you be involved in client work, or server work?. I would suggest looking in to the Linux+ material for starters. There are plenty of Distros and many people will suggest differently I suggest taking a poke at CentOS as it is pretty much Red Hat, which is a very common Distro.

My .02
  • traceyketraceyke Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mutata wrote: »
    Linux is actually a derivative of Unix :D.

^^^ LOL the fact that I did not know this only further proves how futile my knowledge is in both!!!
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd suggest you pull that Mint laptop out, grab a cheap linux/unix book and get to messing around. That's how I started. I don't need too deep of a nix understanding in my job role, but being comfortable moving around in the directories and changing file permissions etc is always good to know for an IT professional.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    If you really want to learn something about *nix, after you're done with CentOS, give Arch a try.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    This will either help or further confuse you :)
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/77/Unix_history-simple.svg

Unix is a family of operating systems; the most popular members of this family are Solaris, FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD, HP-UX, AIX, and the recent version of MacOS. Linux is a Unix-like OS.

Unless you have a specific requirement to get proficient with a Unix (e.g. Solaris). I think you can safely continue mastering Linux - once you reach the level of solid understanding of this OS, transition to other Unix flavours should be reasonably easy, should you wish to broaden your skillset at that point.

Within Linux realm, mostly any general distro would do fine to learn the basics - that includes Mint, which is a derivative of Ubuntu, which is a derivative of Debian. Difference between Linux distros comes into play when you start learning system administration aspects, but from as an end-user or a developer you'll likely won't care much for parts that make them different.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    easiest is Ubuntu
    u shd also use centos..... it'll prepare u for Enterprise jobs....
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ChooseLife wrote: »
    +1 - Great visual and nice find. It's a good way to show the history of the various *nix like OS's. I think my only criticism is (1) that NeXTStep and MacOS history is missing an important origin point with the Mach kernel. And (2) Hurd kernel-based OS is missing. (I know no one really uses it but since Minix is listed, it should be fair to list Hurd). icon_smile.gif

@OP - usually the OS kernel origins will dictate the design of the operating system. But for the sysadmin and users, there will be similarities with all these OS's. Most *Nix OS's will have some POSIX compatibility or compliant - see here - POSIX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. And this OS API will then allow the same tools and commands to be used.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    It doesn't really matter what distro you start with. If you installed Mint already, then use it to practice. Grab CompTIA's Linux+ book, it's a good start. Master everything in and out in that book, and always Google how-to's guides online if you get stuck. Then do your best to get a job in Linux or Unix. it doesn't matter where you start, you just need to get your foot in the door. Any job with Linux/Unix support is a great start.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• jimmyhelujimmyhelu Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Unix is the very first computer operating system. It predates Windows and DOS. Unix was invented in 1972 at Berkeley labs and at AT&T then it spread out from there to become around 20 different operating systems today.

Unlike Windows, Unix operating systems are highly customizable (that's why there are over 20 versions today). Solaris tends to be the most popular and VMS the least popular...

Linux on the other hand is a fairly recent phenomenon that arose with the world wide web, and is an open source operating system designed to bypass several limitations Windows imposes...
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The fundamental difference between UNIX and Linux is in the design of the kernel. Any shell can be ported between Linux and UNIX--assuming the graphical requirements of the shell can be supported by the OS.

Linux has far surpassed UNIX in desktop availability and user friendliness with its GUI shells and program and driver installation features. UNIX will forever be a server OS tending towards the arcane, and that's perfectly fine with UNIX admins everywhere.
    jimmyhelu wrote: »
    Unix is the very first computer operating system.
    Whoa, UNIX is not even close to being the first OS. IBM's OS/360 was dominating the computer world when UNIX was just a kernel of an idea (pun intended).

History of operating systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would grab an LPIC-1 book and start reading through and doing labs. You don't have to do the certification to get the knowledge.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jimmyhelu wrote: »
    .... VMS the least popular...
    VMS isn't derived from *nix operating systems. It's a Digital Equipment (DEC) OS originally developed for the VAX architecture. One of the Windows NT technical leads, John Cutler was the a tech lead at DEC developing VMS which is one of the reasons why there are architectural similarities with some aspects of Windows with VMS.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    ULTRIX is the DEC flavor of UNIX. I've never used it, personally, but I had some good time on VAX/VMS systems playing The Mines of Moria and trying to learn MACRO-32 and BLISS. VMS still lives on in HP's OpenVMS distribution.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    'LFS - Linux From Scratch' for the win :p

IF you feel lucky haha ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One note to the OP:

If you are wanting to learn *nix for a corporate job, it is best to learn how to manage the NOS in command line. It's not common to use a linux machine with any type of GUI if it's a server. Certain industries run Linux workstations though with a GUI...most notably in the programming, engineering, oil & gas...and film industry.
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    'LFS - Linux From Scratch' for the win :p

IF you feel lucky haha ...

I always like to promote LFS. I'm not sure as a beginner you would want to start there, but it is a great learning tool.

LinuxFromScratch: LFS 7.0
  • traceyketraceyke Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys for the awesome advice! I'll definetly look into purchasing a Linux+ book and checking out "Linux From Scratch". One more question, is there any value in obtaining a Linux+ cert? On the chance that I start learning Linux and actually find myself LOVING IT, I would like to know if the obtaining the cert would be worth it in the long run.
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    Personally I want it because I have applied to DOD jobs that wanted me to have it. I thought it was nonsense, since I already had Solaris 10 which is a requirement for my present DOD position.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Linux+ can be helpful. When I obtained it (in 2005) I had no Linux-related work experience, and it helped me land interviews for entry-level positions (junior sysadmin, support, etc.). It is now combined with LPIC-1 and also grants you a Novell cert I think, which may help since some employers might know LPIC and not CompTIA, or vice versa. However, it now requires two exams and is expensive. The RHCSA is probably better to have, but it is harder. After going through some Linux+ material, start looking at the RHCSA to see if it is obtainable in a reasonable time frame. The most important thing to have in IT is work experience, so if you can get Linux+ and get a job, it is better than studying another 6 months to get the RHCSA before looking for a job.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • prampram Member Posts: 171
    Which is easier? Unix of course. Mac OSX Just Works
  • LenniusceLenniusce Member Posts: 114 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You're welcome: professormesser.com/linux-plus/linux-training-videos/

Actually, it looks like he's releasing more videos slowly so you'll have to wait for more to show up.
    In Progress: CCNA:DEVNET or CISSP Done: PMP | A+ | N+ | S+ | L+ | P+ | MCSA 2016 | CCNA | CCNA:S(exp) | LPIC1(exp) | MBA IT Management | MS Information Systems
  • pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Whoa, UNIX is not even close to being the first OS. IBM's OS/360 was dominating the computer world when UNIX was just a kernel of an idea (pun intended).

Nice. I needed a little nerd humor this morning.