Help with FreeBSD

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm currently studying for the Linux+, but I thought that I would try a couple different distros. I have Ubuntu running on the laptop I'm using right now at work, and I'd like to download an .iso image for one of the BSDs to disk.

Apparently they don't make the ISO available in many places, but I found FreeBSD here:
http://www.linuxiso.org./distro.php?distro=15

though there's a lot of choices. Which would be appropriate for a 32-bit desktop computer?
I'm aware that BSD isn't really Linux, but what the hell. :p

KG
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    http://www.freebsd.org

I had version 4.11 running on a Pentium 133 mhz with no issues finding all the drivers. I don't know if it's available anymore, but the newest version will probably be okay because FreeBSD is very good as far as compatibility with older hardware.
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'll download the i386 ISO image and give it a try. Thanks

I see that it's a 2 Disk installation, but what do I do with those other files?

KG
  • cshirercshirer Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    freebsd is a very good distro you will enjoy working with it have fun :)
    Thanks, though before I burn these to CD I'd like to know what these other files are for. They end in MD5, so I want to know if there are any extra steps involved before burning the images..?

KG
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Those are MD5 checksum files, they're used to verify the integrity of the ISO you downloaded.
    Yeah, but do I need to run or do something with them first before I burn the images? I also have this 44MB RELEASE-i386-bootonly.iso. o_O?

I just finished downloading it all and I'm ready to burn.

KG