ICND1 Need a lab?

xkaijinxxkaijinx Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I just started studying on the ICND1 Exam, hopefully going to be able to put in about 4-5 hours per week on studying and plan on taking the exam towards the end of november / beginning December.

Going through forum posts, it sounds like ICND1 is all theory so I just want to ask straight out "Do I need to do any labbing for ICND1?"

After for ICND2 I know its lab all day everyday, but for ICND1 I was wondering if I need to go ahead and lab.

Thanks,

Comments

• NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Remember, the goal here really isn't to pass the test. The goal is to master the content and blow the test out of the water. With that being said, I used a lab for ICND1 and it helped a lot. You could use Packet Tracer and be OK.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    A lab is not required, but I would say that it does help. I really like having a lab. If your just taking ICND1 to see if you like networking or if Cisco is for you then maybe you may wanna hold off. If you do want to go further in the Cisco realm then definitely get a lab.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • xkaijinxxkaijinx Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No no I fully intend on networking as a career, I was just trying to blow through the first test and than move into real labbing on the second.

However, I see what you guys mean and it makes sense.

What labs do you recommend creating for starting out with ICND1 ? I can download Packet Tracer and use that for it than.
  • IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    xkaijinx wrote: »
    No no I fully intend on networking as a career, I was just trying to blow through the first test and than move into real labbing on the second.

However, I see what you guys mean and it makes sense.

What labs do you recommend creating for starting out with ICND1 ? I can download Packet Tracer and use that for it than.

To answer your question, you don't need lab equipment but you will need to run and practice plenty of commands to configure a switch and router using Command Line Interface commands for ICND1. You will need to set up a packet tracer network or any other resource based network or you can use online resources like Testout.com. I've been doing this and there is a lot of command line practice, not necessarily labbing, that you have to do to pass. You cannot attempt them unless you use this or have a packet tracer lab already done so you can practice. ICND2, forget about it, you must do Packet Tracer labs just to understand the topics. I still have to read the tutorial for PT but I will do it this week.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    xkaijinx wrote: »

Boson Netsim costs a pretty penny, but comes with suggested and graded labs for ICND1 and ICND2. Your book should provide ideas (any topologies they discuss). Googling "CCENT Lab Guide" gets tons of hits, like TechExams, INE, and Cisco Learning Network.

A popular CCNA guide--

http://www.freeccnaworkbook.com/labs/
  • lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    Even for ICND1 you do need to lab. Whether that's on real equipment or something like Packet Tracer or GNS3. I doubt you would get through the test without doing labs unless you already have experience.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Lab building guide:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/81293-how-study-ccent-ccna-tutorial.html

Labs, Simulators, Emulators.. all discussed. Leave feedback for addems!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams