For those that took sec+ pre-2011...

sigsoldiersigsoldier Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
I received my security+ certification back in 2010. I know that my cert never expires, so is there any reason to do the CE program for this? I really don't like the idea of paying a fee and doing CE work for an "entry-level" certification. Thanks!

Comments

• thegoodbyethegoodbye Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd say only if you're affected by DDOD 8570.1..."Beginning January 1, 2013, the Department of Defense (DoD) will recognize only CompTIA certifications with the CE designation as approved DoD 8570 Information Assurance baseline certifications. If you earned your CompTIA certification on or after January 1, 2011, follow the standard renewal procedures outlined above. If you earned certification prior to 2011, you must enroll in the continuing education program to update your certification to the CE version."
  • PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    thegoodbye has good advice here. I earned mine in 2010 as well, thus it does not expire. However I knew I was going to pursue larger certs in the future that would outweigh the sec+ anyway so I never enrolled. I just recently passed the CISSP exam and am awaiting official designation from ISC2. If/When that happens, the Sec+ will be peanuts at that point.

If you have larger aspirations, I wouldn't worry about it. But if Sec+ is as high as you want to go, I'd keep it current.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I am in the same boat as Paperlantern. Exact same situation and exact same reasons why I never bothered with the CE.
  • sigsoldiersigsoldier Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your responses guys. That's pretty much how I felt about it.

Congrats on passing the CISSP, paperlantern! I want to take it soon, but it's so hard for me to find study time. icon_sad.gif
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Two things worth noting: If you took any of the CE exams before December 31st of 2010, you have until December 31st of 2012 to enroll in the CE program before you'd have to take new exams to qualify. Also, if you hold a lifetime A+,Network+, or Security+ certification and you were to enroll in the CE program, you'd see an expiration date on your transcripts that relates to the CE program, but you'd return to "certified for life" status if the CE status were to run out.

More info can be found here and here.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • eagles36faneagles36fan Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took this pre-2011. I am wondering if it's even worth renewing?
  • PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    I took this pre-2011. I am wondering if it's even worth renewing?

Again it depends on your aspirations for your career path. If the entry level is good enough, say for a DoD job or something, then yes, enroll and keep it current, if you plan on going much further with your career path than Sec+ can possibly get you, and obtain higher level certs anyway, then no, it isnt worth it and you should just leave it as it is, the never-expire older certification. Let it fall to the bottom of your much more impressive cert list, or leave it out of the list altogether.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Makes me wonder if I should finishing pursuing SEC+. I have a CCNA, really my focus is pure networking. Not sure I even want to shell out the cash to take the cert.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi