Little Words of Advise to Boost Those Certification Study Habbits

Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
Read this article and it made me think about my own habits. I too many times fall victim of my own bad habits. I tell myself I am going to set aside time and do some studying at night after / work / end of my day. This rarely gets done. I think this article has sparked interest for me to change my habits and focus on my mornings more for finding time for myself to study and get these things done I normally find myself lacking to do.

Just thought I'd share

Want to Be More Successful? Change Your Mornings | Inc.com
Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
"Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi

Comments

• AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Definitely useful for some but I already wake up at 5am and waking up any earlier just means having to go to bed at a ridiculously early time.

I personally choose to work early as is leaving me with quite a bit of time after which I can and do use.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    with work and the kids im lucky if i can get to bed by midnight and i have to be up by 4 some days
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    with work and the kids im lucky if i can get to bed by midnight and i have to be up by 4 some days

I know the feeling. It's a battle to study.
  • drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    yeah I'm not getting up before 6:30 if I'm not going to bed before 1AM. I try to study (if at all) around 9-10pm
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I generally do my study time starting at 6:30 and going to around 10. After that, i've got to have a few hours to wind down before going to bed at 12:30.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    Up at 5am for me. Most of my studying is done at work/bus which works out since it is difficult to do it at home. My wife is finishing up her Master's degree and we have a 9 month old so I try to give her schoolwork priority while I look after the baby.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Haha! Wow I almost feel guilty for posting this now. I guess I am lucky that I am only recently married. No kids yet so that makes studying easier. This is why I want to buckle down and get my NP within the year too. I actually wake up at 5:30am every day for work but don't actually get out of bed till like 6am...not a morning person (going to make this tough). I work 12 hour shifts too icon_sad.gif So, I do have extra days off but I still have a hard time finding time to study. I think transitioning some time into my mornings will help my case a lot more. I guess i'll give it a try and see how everything works out.
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you want it bad enough, you'll make it work!

Think about all those times you're sitting, and waiting... You could be reading, or studying. In line at the bank? Bingo. How about waiting in line while the other half is at Victoria Secret? Bingo. You'll find time. Even driving. Yes, Driving. Instead of a radio, record your voice on the mp3 player - play it back when you're driving.

I did this, I grinded port numbers into my skull. It may not be "reading" but it gets you thinking about the content, which can help a lot more.

What's the alternative? Zoning out and being impatient in line. I've sat in line behind the ATM on crowded days, reading. I could care less at that point how long the group of SUV needed to deposit all of their checks. I keep the window cracked open, car in park, opened the book against the steering wheel. Allowing my eyes to catch when the guy infront of me moves up, after honking and cursing.

Bathroom. Shaving? Put notes up on the side of the mirror... sitting down, prop up a book instead of a news paper. There's a lot of downtime people have. They may not realize it.

Mostly, it doesn't have to be long stretches of hours. Do what you can. Really. 30 minutes every day over a month is 900 Minutes.

Just keep at it.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I feel if I change up my mornings it will be good for me. I have some ebooks at work I study when I have some short downtime. However, it is hard for me to find much time after work because I have such long shifts and to be honest the last thing I want to do is use my brain when I get home. Doing things in the mornings I think will be good to not only get me up earlier to be more alert for the day but also have some good solid quiet time for studying.
  • biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    If you want it bad enough, you'll make it work!

Think about all those times you're sitting, and waiting... You could be reading, or studying. In line at the bank? Bingo. How about waiting in line while the other half is at Victoria Secret? Bingo. You'll find time. Even driving. Yes, Driving. Instead of a radio, record your voice on the mp3 player - play it back when you're driving.

I did this, I grinded port numbers into my skull. It may not be "reading" but it gets you thinking about the content, which can help a lot more.

What's the alternative? Zoning out and being impatient in line. I've sat in line behind the ATM on crowded days, reading. I could care less at that point how long the group of SUV needed to deposit all of their checks. I keep the window cracked open, car in park, opened the book against the steering wheel. Allowing my eyes to catch when the guy infront of me moves up, after honking and cursing.

Bathroom. Shaving? Put notes up on the side of the mirror... sitting down, prop up a book instead of a news paper. There's a lot of downtime people have. They may not realize it.

Mostly, it doesn't have to be long stretches of hours. Do what you can. Really. 30 minutes every day over a month is 900 Minutes.

Just keep at it.

^^^^^
    This is me also. LOL, my wife has gotten to where she will quiz me on the practice questions out of my study guides while we are driving anywhere. Which is a good thing, since we live in the boonies and its about 35 to 45 minutes to even get to the grocery store. I am studying for my Security + right now, and I have written down all of the highlighted passages, as recommended by Darril Gibson, but I have also taken these notes and transcribed them to my Droid X2 and I listen to them on my 45 minute drive back and forth to work every day. It gets a bit repetitious sometimes, but doing this I figure I can pass a new cert every 3 months at the latest.

Good luck,
    Gene
  • DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    @Rogue It would be nice to spend some time while waiting but for me I need it to be quiet or else I just keep re-reading the same lines and not even comprehend what I am reading!

I do agree that if you want it you will find a way to make it work.
  • ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    Good advice, for some. I'm a night owl with sleep apnea, I literately cannot function when I first get up. Two herniated disks make getting out of bed a painfully difficult experience. Wife and a 3yo, yeah... sleep, what little I get I'd like to keep.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013