IPv6 books

rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
I want a nice book on IPv6, something that is not totally 'Cisco skewed'

I see that INE reccomened this book:

IPv6, Second Edition: Theory, Protocol, and Practice, 2nd Edition
IPv6,Second Edition: Theory,Protocol,and Practice,2nd Edition (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Networking): Pete Loshin: 9781558608108: Amazon.com: Books

There is also:
IPv6 Essentials from O'Riley
IPv6 Essentials: Silvia Hagen: 9780596100582: Amazon.com: Books

And many more... Anyone got suggestions?
CCIE# 38186
showroute.net

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm waiting for IPv6 Fundamentals, due out next month. The table of contents looks promising , though it's Cisco Press.
  • netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In case you didn't know there is great free information on IPv6 here Hurricane Electric IPv6 Certification
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm currently going through the O'reilly book, it's very good imho. I picked up the partner Planning for IPv6 book but haven't started it yet.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    netsysllc wrote: »
    In case you didn't know there is great free information on IPv6 here Hurricane Electric IPv6 Certification
    It's good as a starting point. The CCNA/CCNP rakem already has goes deeper.
  • rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    Ended up getting the O'Riley book.... they are always good and the TOC looked exactly what i was looking for
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Honestly, when I was studying up on IPv6 I hit the Cisco Press books, looked at the ROUTE material, and then I finally went and thumbed through Understanding IPv6, (mine is the 2nd Edition,) and it really made the concepts sink in. The chapters are fairly evenly divided between "how things work on Windows" and "how things work in general". The general theory and practices chapters alone are worth picking up the book, but if you ever need to configure IPv6 services on a Windows box, it's also a great resource.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    I'm waiting for IPv6 Fundamentals, due out next month. The table of contents looks promising , though it's Cisco Press.

Just pre-ordered this one also... like you said, the TOC looks great.

The O'Reilly book is OK, but its a bit brief on some of the main sections I wanted more info on - mainly around the different address types and subnetting.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net