Passed 70-640

LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
This afternoon I passed the 70-640 with a 752. The test was pretty rough, but not as bad as I thought it would be. I thought the Transcender practice exam questions were harder than the actual exam questions.

Key areas for me were DNS, AD RMS, AD CS, replication, and auditing - in that order. I expected more AD CS than I got, but I sure got my share of DNS.

For studying, I used the Microsoft Self Paced Training Kit for 2008 R2, Microsoft Server 2008 R2 Unleashed, CBT Nuggets, and Technet. For practice tests, I used Measure Up (Came with MS Self Paced book) and Transcender.

I'm not sure I could have passed without Technet and labbing. I know everyone says to lab lab lab, and it is true. I had quite a few questions I was able to answer because of the labs. And Technet does a wonderful job of filling in the gaps. When I started the Transcender exams, I would run across questions that I didn't see addressed in the books or videos. A quick search in Technet would tell me everything I needed to know and more.

Now I'm on to 70-642.
Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
Currently Working On: Security+
2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

Comments

• joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks guys, it feels good to get this one out of the way.

• neilperryneilperry Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. I'm also starting on 642. So far read the first three chapters of the MSFT Self Paced kit.. Snore fest. Think I am just not interested in the material.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on passing, good luck on the 642.
  • joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    neilperry wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass. I'm also starting on 642. So far read the first three chapters of the MSFT Self Paced kit.. Snore fest. Think I am just not interested in the material.

Some of it is pretty dry. I'm close to finishing the same book, I'm enjoying the chapter on file services right now. Some of the chapters on VPN, Radius, and NAP are pretty ridiculous too. I stepped up my lab so I can spend some hands on time with these, because I just don't see how the laundry list of configuration instructions could be remembered by anyone. I didn't even take detailed notes on these sections from the book. Going to go over them in my Server Unleashed book and lab them like crazy.
  • netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! I found the 642 easier, good luck
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, Lunchbocks, on passing the 70-640! icon_thumright.gif I hear it is a tough one.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Congrats on passing, good luck on the 642.

Thanks. Your study guides that you put out helped a lot. I have created my own study guides for most chapters based off of the books, CBT Nuggets, your study guides, and Technet that I used. I plan on uploading my study guides this week to help others.

Some of it is pretty dry. I'm close to finishing the same book, I'm enjoying the chapter on file services right now. Some of the chapters on VPN, Radius, and NAP are pretty ridiculous too. I stepped up my lab so I can spend some hands on time with these, because I just don't see how the laundry list of configuration instructions could be remembered by anyone. I didn't even take detailed notes on these sections from the book. Going to go over them in my Server Unleashed book and lab them like crazy.

I found this to be true for the 70-640. When looking at all of the different configurations required in all of the different places for roles such as AD CS, AD FS, and AD RMS, I found it impossible to learn it without the labs. The book is dry, but is informative; but the labs helped me remember and understand it.

Thanks. I have heard the 642 is easier so I am looking forward to that one.

• MrWrightTechMrWrightTech Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrads on your success Lunchbocks. IfI may, on the 70-640 subject, do you or anyone else has the Nugget lab pdf files for Win2k8? It's by James Conrad. I've looked all over the place. Any help would be appreciated.

In advance, Thank you.
    Thanks.

I don't have the PDF's. I didn't even know there were PDF's from the series.

I do like James Conrad's presentations. Some people find his humor dry, but I like it; it keeps the training entertaining.

• biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass. I for one am looking forward to the study notes, as I find it very educational to use widely varied study materials for any learning I do.

Congrats again,
    Gene
    Thanks Gene. I am hoping to start uploading them either tonight or tomorrow.

• neilperryneilperry Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□

After doing some more reading I think I know what it is. Since there is so much overlap (at least at the beginning of the book) with the 70-640 and my on the job experience, as soon as I see the subject (DNS for example) I feel like I already know the information from the 70-640 and my eyes glaze over. Forced myself to read the material I thought I knew and am picking up some useful knowledge.
  • discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    neilperry wrote: »

I agree, I found it so difficult to really get into 642.. some of the material was interesting, however a lot of the RRAS stuff I would never use in a real life scenario there is just far superior products out there.

I stressed come exam day, because I felt I did nowhere near enough study because it was so boring, however I passed this one the easiest, possibly just prior experience helped.
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.