Passed JNCIP-ENT

zoidbergzoidberg Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
Finally got this off my to-do list. Woot!

I somehow let my JNCIE-ER lapse into an inactive state a number of months back (whoops), but it's now active again upgraded to ENT!

It was a bit trickier than I expected, but mostly because there was more focus on subjects I wasn't expecting to be so heavy. If I took more time to read the AJEX and AJER student guides it wouldn't have been an issue.

A few questions had me guessing at the intent because of the wording, where it seems they were asking one thing that made sense, but if you carefully read word-for-word it seemed to suggest another thing that made a lot less sense. But on the other hand, I only had a few 30 minute naps in the 30some hours leading up to the exam, so maybe my comprehension engine decided to crash on me :)

Comments

• nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man, well done!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • LamptonLampton Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nice!
    Currently studying for: Microsoft 70-640

Using: CBT Nuggets, 70-640 Training Kit 2nd edition, & Transcender Practice Tests.
  • terenteren Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I agree on the wording thing, wasn't just you. Hopefully if they get enough feedback in the comments the cert team will either fix it or rewrite it sooner than later.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • zoidbergzoidberg Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone! :)
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • dinesh2001dinesh2001 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

Congrats on passing, you are where I want to be icon_smile.gif
    I'm going for the JNCIP ENT, Can you tell me what study material I need, at the mo I have Harry Reynolds JNCIP study guide only, I'm after something that will give me hands on... can you advise what lab kit we need? .. what does AJEX and AJER mean?

Regards
    Dinesh
    AJEX and AJER are Juniper classes:
    Advanced Junos Enterprise Switching (AJEX)
    Advanced Junos Enterprise Routing (AJER)

Attending those classes, or reviewing the study guides from those classes, could adequately prepare you for the exam. Each of those classes include plenty of lab time and a lab guide. Not everyone can attend the classes or borrow the guides though, in which case the published Junos books can be a great resource.

When you say you have the Harry Reynolds JNCIP study guide, you are referring to the old (but still valuable) Sybex JNCIP book? That book was written with a focus on the JNCIP-M lab exam, and will be very different from the JNCIP-ENT exam. I do encourage you to read it as the routing and troubleshooting information in it is excellent and a lot of that will transfer over to the JNCIP-ENT, but it won't be enough the JNCIP-ENT. There are lot of new topics, technologies, and lots of switching, which the JNCIP book does not cover. It was from the day before Juniper could switch traffic.

Harry (and Doug) wrote two other books that will really help you here. There is Junos Enterprise Switching and Junos Enterprise Routing. These books will help you immensely in preparing for the JNCIP-ENT and JNCIE-ENT. Those exams will follow what you learn from the books. The Junos Enterprise Routing book was my primary study resource when I took on the the JNCIE-ER, and since then it has been refreshed to a 2nd edition and should be great for the ENT track. I haven't read all of the Switching book yet, but I imagine it would be an excellent resource as well.
    Hi Thank you for your reply.

I have JNCIP, Juniper® Networks Certified Internet Professional Study Guide by Harry Reynolds(ISBN: 0-7821-4073-4)
    from Juniper, not sysbex, is this the correct one?

Also, I want to buy a small lab... I'm soo confused with what I need. Any chance you could recommend a hardware list?

Sorry for asking for soo much, I just need a little help to get started.
    That book would be the Sybex one I was referring to, as it was originally published by them. I believe the free pdf download from juniper.net removes any references to Sybex though, hence the confusion.

Like I said, that book will teach you a lot, but not specifically what you need for the JNCIP-ENT. That book was written for the JNCIP-M, which is a retired track with a Service Provider routing focus.

For JNCIP-ENT, I would recommend these:
    Junos Enterprise Switching: ISBN 059615397X
    Junos Enterprise Routing: ISBN 1449398634
    Some others on this board have set up some small labs for the JNCIP-ENT and may be able to offer some better advice.

I would guess maybe a few SRXs; SRX100, SRX210, maybe at least one with high memory. You can put a low end SRX into a switching mode, though I'm not sure it would support all the features you may encounter. EX2200s might be good low cost switches. If you had a pair of those you might be able to try doing a virtual chassis.
  • terenteren Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    +1 on the SRX's, 210's if you can afford it otherwise go for the 100B and maybe at least one or two H. The SRX should be able to do most of what you need from a switching perspective, however if memory serves the 100's cannot do Q-in-Q, so a couple of 2200's would probably be a good idea. I don't think VC is available on the 2200's yet but should be soon, plus VC is fairly straightforward so as long as you've set it up before and know the basics I'm sure you'll be fine.

Junosphere is also always good, can't do switching yet but for routing it's great.
    Thanks Guys,
    I'm going to blow my pocket money plus and try and get a few srx240h and a couple of switches..... will try ebay cheers
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    man, how did i miss this thread!?

congrats on the pass
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The SRX 210B and H are pretty expensive. They both are in the $800-$1,000 range.
    That's not pennies to be for sure, but you gotta invest in yourself if you want to exceed.

-Bender
    Aldur wrote: »
    That's not pennies to be for sure, but you gotta invest in yourself if you want to exceed.

Exceed my means. But I know what you mean. I asked before, but is there a recommended lab kit? Like CCNP, it's recommended that you have three routers, three switches (preferably layer 3).

I can understand for JNCIE, probably moving to JUNOSPHERE since it will be able to scale for the requirements. But I wish there was a sort of roadmap that said hey, JNCIA requires three devices, Associate four, Professional five, etc and outline.
    I'm seeing a few 210Hs on eBay for under $500. I agree that it's pricey, but from time to time you can snag some on eBay for even cheaper than that. There may be some virtual options in the future that could be a better option than. If you work for a company that uses Juniper, you may ask about access to your company's lab equipment, if they have any. Or see if your company can hook you up with their Juniper representatives to see if they can help you get a good deal on devices for your lab.

As for recommended kits, that's a hard one to say. You can really do a lot with just a little. Junos devices have a bunch of options so 1 device can act as many, and possibly even your entire lab. Without even using virtual-routers or logical-systems, you can test most features and configurations with just 2 or 3 devices. Sure it's more fun with a large topology though.

Where is it recommended that CCNP needs 3 routers and 3 L3 switches? I don't recall seeing those in my Cisco studies, and I definitely didn't have that. I'm guessing they say 3 so you can create a nice little triangle topology for routing and a triangle for switching, so can you practice manipulating metrics to change your routing and spanning tree paths.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    zoidberg wrote: »
    Where is it recommended that CCNP needs 3 routers and 3 L3 switches?
    To simulate Cisco's published SWITCH or TSHOOT lab topologies requires four switches, ideally 2x3560 + 2x2960, but usually 2x3550 + 2x2950. Same for most lab vendors. Also, more routers. Given that, I can't imagine Cisco ever published a recommendation to use only three switches, although three is certainly better than two!

My Junosphere subscription arrived! A $50 ticket to Juniper certification. :)

Congrats, zoidberg. Nice certification portfolio!
    That is true regarding the switches. I forgot about the necessity to have HSRP/VRRP/GLBP and VTP. And the number of routers might be the same for route with IPv6 VPNs, BGP, etc. And I'm basing it on the Cisco Network Academy. Obviously for CCIE, you can go by the recommended devices on the learning network or use INE/Narbik/IP Expert/Cisco 360 topologies.

So do you think one could pass all of the levels of Juniper certification with just JUNOSPHERE?
    With the current feature support that is in JunoSphere, you could take the SP track from JNCIA-JUNOS to JNCIE-SP. There are some important features that are missing for the ENT and SEC track. However, those features should be available next year. So very soon you can use JunoSphere to pass all the levels of Juniper certification.

-Bender
    What is the recommended books/courses for SP track?
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Aldur wrote: »
    With the current feature support that is in JunoSphere, you could take the SP track from JNCIA-JUNOS to JNCIE-SP. There are some important features that are missing for the ENT and SEC track. However, those features should be available next year. So very soon you can use JunoSphere to pass all the levels of Juniper certification.

Thats awesome news! i no longer work with junos and i rather miss it tbh but i could never step up to the JNCIP level due to the lack of labbing available to me.

Last time i checked, the Junosphere was pretty pricey. Do you know if there will be any deals or subscriptions available that are affordable for the average self studier? I think if juniper could get something like a technet style subscription then you guys would have tons of people crossing over to the affordable platform, especially when you consider the excellent free study products juniper have at the moment.

Even my ex company bauked at the price, however, I realise that compared to real equipment and requiring it on a short term basis for POC there are savings. At the time, our reseller in the UK only offered purchases in one or 30 day periods with 10 vms i believe (from memory). Im not sure if this has since changed.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
    Also, does Juniper have any lab workbooks that go with the Junosphere? That would help us start to use the Junsophere as I'm sure it will require some twicking to get working....
    Check out the JunoSphere docs in the techpubs, that should have all you need to know to get started with JunoSphere.

Junosphere - Technical Documentation - Support - Juniper Networks

-Bender
  • oldman1980oldman1980 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great thread guys. Thanks for the study material advice. I am going for my JCNIP soon.
  • Abigail4444Abigail4444 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hurrra i also pass the lab. Thankgod .If you are also looking for authentic JNCIE-DC Lab **** on internet then it seems difficult to get it. Because most of site do not provide authentic JNCIE-DC Lab study material. So dont wandering here and there. Save your time by visit lab4ccie.on this site you can find up to date JNCIE-DC Lab Practice Questions and their answers.lab4ccie is your success partner. They provide a well compiled JNCIE-DC Lab Workbook for your best preparation. So become a member of lab4ccie and get 90 days free questions updates. For more info visit: https://www.lab4ccie.com/jncie-dc-lab-workbook