What CEH book do you all recommend?

MatthewHaysMatthewHays Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I just received my Security+ Certification a few months ago, and I'm planning on pursuing CEH. I also do have a class lined up for CEH in a few weeks (paid for by my work).

Unfortunately I'm not sure which book to pick up. On Amazon, the CEH Certified Ethical Hacker All-in-One Exam Guide looks to be the most popular, but its over a year old now and only covers v7 material (and from what I've researched, v8 is the current exam version). Would any of you still suggest this book, or perhaps another?

Comments

• IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A cursory glance at the EC-Council website seems to show v7 of the C|EH as the current version. The C|HFI, however, is up to v8.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • QuantumstateQuantumstate Member Posts: 192 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's the book. v8 won't be out until next year.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Here's the retirement notices for all CEH exams: Exam Retirement Notice

You can also check Amazon.com for upcoming releases of certification training books to get an idea of how close a cert is to retirement.
  • QuantumstateQuantumstate Member Posts: 192 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CEH v7 isn't on there, but v8 will be out in the first quarter next year.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I would expect v7 to be retired six months after v8 is released.
  • JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    official slides & book ? their course-ware is the most advanced - feel never bored

or Sybex :)
  • bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    Hello,

I just received my Security+ Certification a few months ago, and I'm planning on pursuing CEH. I also do have a class lined up for CEH in a few weeks (paid for by my work).

Unfortunately I'm not sure which book to pick up. On Amazon, the CEH Certified Ethical Hacker All-in-One Exam Guide looks to be the most popular, but its over a year old now and only covers v7 material (and from what I've researched, v8 is the current exam version). Would any of you still suggest this book, or perhaps another?

I used both the aforementioned "CEH AIO Exam Guide" and the "Official CEH Review Guide for version 7.1" both available on Amazon. I found Matt Walker's book an easier and more entertaining read compared to the Offficial Review guide. The Official Review guide, however, was more comprehensive and thorough.

That being said, if you or your employer can swring the cost of the official ECouncil CEH training, I'd definitely go that route as the exam is more or less tailored to It. Good luck!