LinkedIn now has the option to endorse someone in a particular skill

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I went through a few members LinkedIn profile on this board already and endorse them on their particular skills. JD with CWNA, Slow with MS 2003 Server, etc.

Instead of a full blown recommendation if you feel someone is qualified in a certain area you can endorse that skill set.

Post your LinkedIn profiles. I will follow up and endorse skills on members who I have personally received knowledge from or who I am confident in their abilities. In todays age Linkedin and social media is a huge deciding factor if a candidate is a good fit for a company. The more people who endorse a certain skill removes some risk for the HR manager and hiring manager.

Here is my profile http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=52861483&trk=tab_pro

(I'm sure I missed a few so please provide your link and I will endorse)

Have a great day

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is "Badassery" a skillset? ;)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I like that it makes it easier to endorse someone without having to write a whole personalized "review" of sorts. At the same time, I think that ease and the social nature of it reduces the value. I'd rather have a few good, written endorsements than everyone I know endorse my skills.

Of course I've already started endorsing people and hope to be endorsed in return. I don't see any point in fighting it. :D
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm still not on linked-in thought I've had many colleagues ask me to sign up. Have you really found it helpful when seeking professional work?
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    NetworkV 3 years ago I would say not so much. In todays game absolutely. Someone with your (assumed) qualitifcation would really gain a lot from this networking tool.

Make sure to watch a quick tutorial on how to optimize your LinkedIn profile and you will get nailed with hits IMO. The more experienced technologist/managers will have large returns from LinkedIn IMO. If you are specialized and are mobile LinkedIn is your best friend.
    Rogue actually you can create your own skill as well as using canned ones provided by Linkedin so in other words yes.

PT you have been endorsed! :)
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ptilsen wrote: »
    I'd rather have a few good, written endorsements than everyone I know endorse my skills

I'm with you on that. I'm probably not going to use the feature because it looks messy to me. Seeing all the faces lined up in a row kind of struck me as odd.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I found my current job on Indeed and applied via the company's own portal. However, I have received regular contact from recruiters via LinkedIn over the years, especially over the last six months (edit: and I have really neglected my LinkedIn, so that's saying something). Outside of that, there is serious networking potential. I can keep up with former co-workers and classmates and see where they wind up. If one works at a company I want to work for, now I have an in. I've personally extended opportunities to former co-workers and classmates, and I have every reason to believe the same could happen to me.

So there's real value there. I'm not saying it's a must, and the truth is I found plenty of great results on Indeed in my search three months ago, and didn't end up needing LinkedIn. Still, it's there. People use it. I wouldn't ignore it as a potential resource. It's really not much effort and there is little downside.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    well, given that the internet literally 'connects' everyone nowadays with the saturation of hand-held computing devices. It can't hurt. Anyways, It's good to talk to people that deal with the same crap day in and day out - It's hard to explain the day to someone whose eyes glaze over at the first sign of geekery.

I'm still on the fence about being closer to people on the internet though. My experience with facebook and the like gives the opposite impression. More people are happy being disconnected with social media and networking. To a point, Forums gives me that impression. But not to Twitter/Facebook/... extents.

I like handshakes, however.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm still not on linked-in thought I've had many colleagues ask me to sign up. Have you really found it helpful when seeking professional work?

I get regular hits from recruiters on LinkedIn even though my contact preference doesn't list job opportunity. I think LinkedIn improved dramatically once they added certification section.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT, Dave330i, would you advise creating a LinkedIn profile even if someone is not currently seeking another employment opportunity?
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
    Carl absolutely
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CarlSaiyed wrote: »
    N2IT, Dave330i, would you advise creating a LinkedIn profile even if someone is not currently seeking another employment opportunity?

I'll answer that. Yes! You never know when a recruiter might come along and try to scoop you up for something better.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■

Yes. Main purpose of LinkedIn is professional networking. It also happens to be a great portal for new job opportunity.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
    Thanks, guys. I recently got a new gig and I'm over the moon about it but I'll get a LinkedIn profile made anyway.
    How much information do you guys put on your LinkedIn?
  • ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I really need to work on polishing up my profile:

Zorodzai Mhlanga | LinkedIn
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i rarely use linkedin. Everyone always raves about it but i hardly bother.

Since ive started contracting i feel it could be a good tool though for work contacts. Does anyone have any good writeups/links for optimising your profile and the kind of content you should put in it?
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How much information do you guys put on your LinkedIn?

I use to have a lot of information on what I have done but removed it all after I realized how much information could be gathered/learned from it. I need to sit down and redo past work experience and just put basic bullet points down.
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I will add it "could" be a nice feature if it would work.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • destini99destini99 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is an awesome way for people to see the verification that you just might have said skills....from real professionals
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I wondered what those endorsement notices were. I usually don't pay attention when LinkedIn reinvents it's GUI.