Had an interview today: NOC Tech II

JasonXJasonX Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
So today I had an interview with a CLEC with I believe who would be my immediate supervisor, and a Network Engineer.

I had prepared for a technical interview the last several days, reading up on Routing protocols that weren't covered during my Associate level studies (I did dive into the first few chapters of the FLG:Route book previously), just to be certain I did demonstrate fundamental knowledge (IS-IS, BGP, SIP) and refreshed myself on IOS commands for configuring IPSec, VLANS, OSPF and other areas.

The interview lasted a total of maybe 20 minutes, no technical questions asked at all.

Prior to setting up the interview, speaking with HR, I asked the recruiter what the salary range was. She asked what I was looking for and I provided her my salary and told her I'd need an increase over that.

She spoke with the manager through an IM Session I believe and was told "that's fine bring him in".

During the interview, they also had my salary listed on my application they had me fill out prior and asked what I was looking for. I indicated a range of about 10-15% over my current salary. It ended shortly thereafter.

Now, what's puzzling is why I wasn't asked to demonstrate my technical ability in the interview, and was what I had asked for unrealistic, knowing I had prior to scheduling the interview gave me salary and expected salary.

Generally speaking, most interviews I've undergone were an hour+ and asked some technical questions.

Any thoughts?
2016 Certification Goals:
CCIE R/S Written: ???
CCIE R/S Lab: ???
Add me on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/pub/jason-meier/38/912/280/

Comments

• J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did they ask any questions during the interview? Maybe they are just feeling you out first and will bring you back for a more technical interview?
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JasonX wrote: »
    I provided her my salary and told her I'd need an increase over that.

I indicated a range of about 10-15% over my current salary. It ended shortly thereafter.

was what I had asked for unrealistic, knowing I had prior to scheduling the interview gave me salary and expected salary

If they're not willing to pay that salary for your skill level, then it's not realistic for them. But if that's how much money you need to feel good about working there, no harm done in stating your rate! You get to keep the job you like more--the one you're willing to work at for 15% less compensation than this new company. Win-win. :)
  • JasonXJasonX Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If they're not willing to pay that salary for your skill level, then it's not realistic for them. But if that's how much money you need to feel good about working there, no harm done in stating your rate! You get to keep the job you like more--the one you're willing to work at for 15% less compensation than this new company. Win-win. :)

Thing is I do want to get into Networking, however, I have a secure/stable job presently as a Programmer that I receive a decent salary at now for a company that'll be around forever (Fortune 50 company). To give up that security, further factoring in the additional certifications I've obtained, it'd be foolish for me to take a lateral/paycut. Hopefully, I am looking too much into it as I clearly did state my current salary and indicated I would need an increase before considering the interview. I don't think a 10-15% increase is too out of line.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Can you post the job description? And maybe some actual salary number?
    -Daniel
  • JasonXJasonX Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have no idea what the salary range is, I only provided mine and indicated I'd need an increase to consider it.

Description:
    Seeks qualified Level 2 Network Technician. 3+ years experience at ISP/Carrier NOC preferred.
    Candidate will be responsible for working escalated repair tickets and completion of assigned projects.

Must have working knowledge of:
    Major routing protocols- OSPF, BGP, ISIS
    VPNs -- IPSEC, L2TP, PPTP
    Firewall concepts- policy setup, NAT, PAT
    VLANs
    QoS concepts
    VoIP- sip/rtp
    ATM and frame-relay
    T1, T3, OC-x troubleshooting practices
    MPLS
    Mail/web hosting/DNS services

Experience working with Redback SMS and/or SmartEdge platforms a big plus
  • lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    Depending on what you're making now that just might be out of line.

What exactly are your job duties now as compared to a network engineer? Sure you have IT experience but it is not in the same field as what you are trying to get into. So your experience may not help you in trying to find a job as a network engineer and getting an increase in pay at the same time. If you're making a pretty good salary now as compared to a NOC tech then you just might have to take a decrease in pay to get your start if that's the type of roles you're looking for.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Hard to tell, but "decent salary" + 15% may just be out of range for this type of work. If you are already making good money as a programer than you are probably going to have to take at the very least a lateral pay move as you will be going into a more entry level networking position.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JasonX wrote: »
    Thing is I do want to get into Networking, however, I have a secure/stable job presently as a Programmer that I receive a decent salary at now.. To give up that security... it'd be foolish for me to take a lateral/paycut.
    It also doesn't make much sense for an employer to pay an entry-level networking guy 10-15% more than a programmer unless your programming skillset is quite weak. Given your criteria, this switch may simply not be in the cards. Whether the move is foolish or not depends on how much you value doing networking vs. programming work! Doing what one loves is arguably as important as doing what brings home the most bacon. :)
    further factoring in the additional certifications I've obtained,
    To clarify, those are entry-level certificates. A good set, to be sure! They are not the ticket to high salaries so much as the ticket to breaking into good networking roles.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    lateral pay move as you will be going into a more entry level networking position.

this

I was going to start a thread about my job search, but this is spot on... I've been looking to break into networking and wasn't getting any offers.... but I was looking for a pay raise

I lowered my asking price to my current pay rate and I got an offer on the first job interview I had
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark