Passed the GCIH today.

anothergeekanothergeek Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
I took a little over 3 hours to complete the exam. Overall I felt the exam was a little bit harder than the practice exams. I went over the SAN books twice and the mp3 once.
GCIH, CEH, CHFI, EDRP, Sec +, ITIL

Comments

• IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, anothergeek! icon_thumright.gif
    What's next on the agenda?
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • I2SecureI2Secure Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats whats next for further and whats was your experience about exams
  • anothergeekanothergeek Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys, I'm going to submit my application for the work study program hopefully I can get selected for a future date.
    I will start studying for my ccna security exam next week.

As far as the exam goes I took most of the time to complete the exam. It helped that I setup some vm to play inside of prior to even taking the course, I had done a lot of research on what tools were on the exam and just in general what to focus on. My index and printing the table of contents were a great help for some of the questions that I couldnt answer off the top of my head.
  • laughing_manlaughing_man Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am thinking of taking the GCIH next. Overall, what did you think of it? Worth it?
    I thought the training was great, I learned a lot of things that I hadnt been exposed to in my current position and on certain sections I learned a lot more details on certain attacks.

I would recommend this training for anyone who wants to expand their knowledge on the 6 stages of IH and learn in depth details about attacks.
  • laughing_manlaughing_man Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cool. My boss is looking to send me off for GCIH (SEC504) as well as MGT535. There is a big push right now in the company on training for incident response. I causally recommended GCIH to him, so it looks like I will be studying up again soon! icon_study.gif
  • JinverarJinverar Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, The GCIH is a harder exam than most. Incident Handling is a really interesting field! Looks like you have some great skills. cheers
    Jinverar, TSS
    Thank you!
  • AnthonyFAnthonyF Member Posts: 109
    Great job! Congrats!
  • bkhayesbkhayes Member Posts: 39 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took a little over 3 hours to complete the exam. Overall I felt the exam was a little bit harder than the practice exams. I went over the SAN books twice and the mp3 once.
    where does a person get practice exams at? i am taking the Sans course in march and afterwards i will take the exam. how did you get practice exams?
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    You will get two online practice exams when you sign up for the exam. They are a fair simulation of the actual exam.
  • bkhayesbkhayes Member Posts: 39 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bkhayes wrote: »
    where does a person get practice exams at? i am taking the Sans course in march and afterwards i will take the exam. how did you get practice exams?

okay thanks. i thought that maybe you get the practice exams when you sign up for the 6 day class. so i have to pay for the exam and then i get the practice tests?

anyways.. i heard that in the course for the GCIH (sans sec504) they use Linux and practice with Linux commmands to do practice on certain topics. Does anyone here who has taken the 6 day class happen to know which distribution of linux is used in the class?
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    In my SANS 401 class we used BackTrack 5, so maybe now they use Kali 1.0. The SANS SIFT distro is probably usable for SANS 504 too.
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Each SANS course might use a different distro. 560 used Fedora. I think 504 and 560 (and maybe another one) essentially use the same Linux VM image.

At the end of the day, Linux is Linux. In virtually all SANS courses I've taken, the use of Linux has been around non-distro-specific tools and commands.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/