Reccommended paid training?

Our CIO told us to let him know if there's any classes that we want to take or any sort of paid training we would like to get because he's getting ready to submit a budget. I'm looking to take advantage of this and I want to use this to get more security training. Now, I'll be getting my Security+ cert in the next couple months and that's already paid for from WGU. Is there any courses or training that anyone here has taken that they would recommend..... especially if my employer is paying for it? :)

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    If you have been studying for Sec+ and definitely want to dig deeper into security I would recommend SANS courses. I think 401 may be a good one for you.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Did your CIO give a budget range for training? Use the SANS courses to check his "sticker shock" threshold for training costs. Find some posts about he positive ROI returned by SANS training to help him decide.
  • taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
    Thanks for the ideas guys. He didn't really give a budget range but I don't think he will go for $4,000+ for training for only 1 person. I do think I have him convinced on getting us a CBT nuggets subscription which is better than nothing. I will definitely try for the SANS courses though. He's definitely all about "ROI" so if I can give him enough evidence that proves the return on the investment then maybe he will go for it.

Any other ideas?
  • AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Career Academy also offers subscription based on demand training: www.learninggate.com
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
    Have you ever used the Career Academy materials? If so, what did you think?
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A couple of suggestions:

-CBT Nuggets does offer group rates for training videos. You may be able to pool your training funds together between a few techs and get some logins set up.

-Regarding SANS: I would apply for the Work Study program. If chosen you will be provided with all SANS training materials, an exam attempt, and you'll get to attend the conference as basically a Staff member. It is hard work, but that drops the price to $850 which is more reasonable if your budget isn't several thousand dollars.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Make sure you insist that he takes a SANS training course too. There are management classes as well as technical ones. Show him the CISSP, CISM, and CRISC certs if he already doesn't already have them. Getting him personally involved in attending some training will help him decide.

In addition to online/on-demand training materials, also have him consider an enterprise subscription to Safari Books Online.
  • AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've used Career Academy Shon Harris CISSP DVD training and passed the exam at first try. I've just finished watching the Career Academy CEH v7.1 DVD training. I'm waiting for the eligibility code from EC-Council to register for the exam. I'm satisfied with the training DVD provided by Career Academy. The trainers know their materials. But they are not as "fun" as the SANS trainers which tell a lot of anecdotes.
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
    I had never heard of safari books but that looks awesome. If we could get subscriptions for CBT nuggets and Safari Books I think that would be great. BTW... he didn't go for the SANS training.
    Thanks Alex. I've looked into the Career Academy material a little more and I think we are leaning towards getting it. My boss like the idea of the hands on labs for the Microsoft and Cisco courses which CBT Nuggets doesn't have. Thanks for the recommendation!
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Here's my extensive research on that exact topic:
    Security Training Courses
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    To be honest - if I was your CIO, I would not send folks out to individual classes. If you have enough people, I would bring in a trainer. It's a lot more cost effective. For security training, we usually bring in a trainer from our QSA (qualified security assessor if you are unfamiliar with PCI - payment card industry).

SANS also offers on-site instruction - https://www.sans.org/onsite/ - I probably would not use them since I think they are a bit pricey.