CCNP lab kit requirement

Sp004uSp004u Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Guys,
I am new to this site, infact just joined in to get some help.

I am planning to sit in CCNP exams and for that i was thinking to buy gears to practice at home.

First question is, which gears that i need considering i may sit in CCIE in future?

I had a look around and found certificationkits.com which sells some kits starting from economy ($1689)to platinum ($3599).
Platinum kit specs are as below,

Four 1841 Dual Ethernet 256/64 Router for Firewall concepts
bullet1.gif Two 3560 Layer 3 Switches
bullet1.gif Two 2960 Switches
bullet1.gif One 2006 Wireless Controller
bullet1.gif Two Wireless Access Points
bullet1.gif Two IP Phones and power cubes
bullet1.gif Five WIC-2T Serial Modules
bullet1.gif Four Smart Serial to Smart Serial Back to Back Cables
bullet1.gif Four Ethernet Patch Cables
bullet1.gif Ten Crossover Ethernet Patch Cables
bullet1.gif ROUTE, SWITCH and TSHOOT Physical Lab Books with 80 labs(not PDFs)!
bullet1.gif 11 Power Cords Additional Items Include:
bullet1.gifCisco Academy CCNP ROUTE, SWITCH, TSHOOT Lab Workbooks($135 value)
bullet1.gif
CertificationKits CCNA Lab Workbook($29.99 value)
bullet1.gif
CertificationKits CCNA Security eLab Workbook($29.99 value)
bullet1.gif
CertificationKits CCNA How & Why We Subnet Workbook($19.99 value)
bullet1.gif
CertificationKits CCNA CRAM Sheet($14.99 value)
bullet1.gif CertificationKits CCNA Study Poster($9.99 value)

bullet1.gif
CertificationKits CCNA Test Engine($29.99 value)

bullet1.gif CertificationKits CCNA e-Flash Cards
bullet1.gif CertificationKits TFTP Server
bullet1.gif CertificationKits Subnet Calculator
bullet1.gif CertificationKits Binay Bits Game
bullet1.gif 20 CCNA Instructional Videos
bullet1.gif 12.4 and 15.x IOS on CD as a backup for the 1841 units
bullet1.gif 12.2.55 IOS on CD as a back for the 3560 unit
bullet1.gif 12.2.22 IOS on CD as a backup for the 2960 unit

Second question is,
Is it worth buying the above mentione kit? Or if anybody can please suggest me the best place to buy CCNP kits ?

I really do appreciate your time behind this.

thanks you

Sp004U

Comments

• DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would say you need the following:

2x Layer 3 switches (3550, 3750, or 3560)
    2x Layer 2 switches (2950 or 2960)
    GNS3 for routers
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    DPG wrote: »
    I would say you need the following:

2x Layer 3 switches (3550, 3750, or 3560)
    2x Layer 2 switches (2950 or 2960)
    GNS3 for routers

+1 on that. A CCNP- and CCIE-ready kit! :)
  • mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    I third that =) yay! haha

I'm almost there myself! XD need... more... gear... @_@
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yeah, don't spend money on that kit. I'd say invest in 2 3550 and 2 3560 switches and do like they say and have a GNS3 box, especially since you can have hosts running on it via Virtualbox.

The routers in GNS3 do er thing you need.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not to hijack the thread or anything, but what is the key differences between the switches 3550, 3560, and 3750 and what makes these switches important for studying NP? I am sure there are key differences but I just don't fully understand them and this information would be good to know how they make as good devices for studying.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • smith950smith950 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For a CCNP I would not buy this kit. Its geared toward a CCNP voice lab. Decide what training material you are going to use, INE, IPexperts or Micronics, which I recommend. Buy the gear you need for the course. Watch ebay to get the best price. Buy as you need it or on a monthly basis. I started gathering my lab hardware when I started studying for my IE written exam. it has taken me 12 months to get all my gear. I have $3500, but I can resell it as a ready to go lab for the same price or more. I consider it an investment in my future.

I tried GNS3 and decided the hardware was more realistic.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Not to hijack the thread or anything, but what is the key differences between the switches 3550, 3560, and 3750 and what makes these switches important for studying NP? I am sure there are key differences but I just don't fully understand them and this information would be good to know how they make as good devices for studying.
    They are all Layer 3 switches (switches that have router capabilities). Layer 3 switching and gateway redundancy protocols are covered in CCNP Switch.

The 3550 is the oldest switch out of all three and is missing several features like private VLANs and IPv6 that the 3560 and 3750 have.

Difference between 3750 and 3560 is up to nine 3750s can be stacked via a proprietary cable interconnecting them to make one big logical switch. Also, from what I've read the 3750s have reliability issues.
  • Sp004uSp004u Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Guys,

First i really appreciate your time giving me feedback.

Second, this is the thing as i am new to CCNP and done my CCNA long ago, i am struggling to find differences on which kit or path i should go with. Everything i want is to be good network designer, which currently i am but struggling by not having much knowledge yet.

Anyways Thank you very once gain for your help and thank you for your time.

Spoo4U
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't spend money on a pre-made kit to be honest. Piece it together from eBay or Craigslist, if you can.

On a side note - looks like my lab is ready for CCNP. I have 4 1841's with WIC1T's in them. I just need an extra 3550, but I'd love to get a 3560. I already have one 3550 and was going to get another (PoE) for when I study for the CCNA:Voice.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They are all Layer 3 switches (switches that have router capabilities). Layer 3 switching and gateway redundancy protocols are covered in CCNP Switch.

The 3550 is the oldest switch out of all three and is missing several features like private VLANs and IPv6 that the 3560 and 3750 have.

Difference between 3750 and 3560 is up to nine 3750s can be stacked via a proprietary cable interconnecting them to make one big logical switch. Also, from what I've read the 3750s have reliability issues.

Thanks. I do too understand these are layer 3 switches, I actually have a decent level of experience with them via my job. What I guess I didn't word well is why someone would want all 3 for studying purposes. Seems to me that the 3560s or 3750s are the way to go because they are newer. However I am not at all saying it isn't important to have a grasp on older concepts as they are typically the foundation holders for the new stuff. It just seemed to me that the previous discussions were indicating there is a purpose to using all 3 types for your studies. The differences are not enormous so I don't see why just using 1 type for your study purposes wouldn't be sufficient, at least along the lines of the 3 types previously mentioned. I am just trying to align my facts too because I will be making the push on studying Switch here in the next few months and want to be fully prepared in good time. The NP goal is by June. Maybe I read into it too much...
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • chanterchanter Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have a 2950, 2960, and a 3560G. So I need just one more layer 3 switch??
    thanks.