What Order should I take these tests

joe0121joe0121 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I just Finished 70-680 and I have these Tests Yet to complete:

Microsoft 70-642 exam: Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuring assessment.

Microsoft 70-640 exam: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring assessment.

Microsoft 70-646 exam: Windows Server 2008, Server Administrator assessment.

I was wondering if someone out there has completed these exam and could give me any clues about which ones to take first or last.

Comments

• IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The order in which you list them is the order which most people with a networking background seem to recommend.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I think you've got the order pretty much right. It's difficult to jump right into Active Directory without having an idea of what the other roles Windows Server 2008 runs are, and what the OS is capable of. Start with 70-642, then hit up 70-640, and you'll be ready to take out 70-646 in no time.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    I am inclined to agree with Slowhand but as Active Directory is the on one which requires some good hands on lab time I will suggest 640>642 then 646.
    In the end its your comfort level however, the lab time you spend with 640 kind of makes you really comfortable for the next few exams and its like a foundation. An additional plus is that after slogging out for 640, 642 seems like a walk in the park (almost) icon_lol.gif
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • X10MMXX10MMX Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I did the 640 then the 642. I am working towards the EA. I have my 643 on Wednesday.. icon_study.gif I know there is no added benefit when upgrading to 2012 but i set that goal November last year and I will have my EA by the end of November!
  • LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck with your 643.
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    I tend to think in order is best

640-642-646

but whatever works for you
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.
    Hate to say it but go through 643 before sitting for 646, it helps a lot. I was initially going on EA path and completed studying for 643 when changed my mind (more to do with budget) and started with 646. The material helped me understand 646 and 659 as well
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • joe0121joe0121 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    pumbaa_g wrote: »
    Hate to say it but go through 643 before sitting for 646, it helps a lot. I was initially going on EA path and completed studying for 643 when changed my mind (more to do with budget) and started with 646. The material helped me understand 646 and 659 as well
    Thanks for the input.

642 will be first.

Still on the fence about 640 and 646. Where I work now doesn't use Active directory so I will really be dependent on the Labs. How much in the Way of overlap is there between the exams? I also heard mention of 643. It isnt in my degree plan but is it worth it as sort of a foundation? I also notice there is only 1 test difference between MCTIP: EA and SA I was planning on taking the test on my own. Might as well.
    There is a good amount of overlap between the exams, at any time when you feel that things are getting beyond your understanding check if its related to other exam topics or related MS Products icon_lol.gif
    Sitting for an exam is based on your decision all I can say is 643 is worth going through. The reason is that it has all that you wanted to know but 640/642 never taught you icon_wink.gif
    Difference between SA and EA is 2 exams 643 and 680 plus the pro exam. SA you give 646 & for EA the 647
  • joe0121joe0121 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    pumbaa_g wrote: »
    There is a good amount of overlap between the exams, at any time when you feel that things are getting beyond your understanding check if its related to other exam topics or related MS Products icon_lol.gif
    Sitting for an exam is based on your decision all I can say is 643 is worth going through. The reason is that it has all that you wanted to know but 640/642 never taught you icon_wink.gif
    Difference between SA and EA is 2 exams 643 and 680 plus the pro exam. SA you give 646 & for EA the 647

More Importantly how have these exams helped you get and keep jobs? MCITP Seems to be a big deal. Is there a Hyper V cert?

As I am a Linux guy the Linux+ and Red Hat Certs are where I'll spend most of my Own money after I have my degree. Red Hat Certs are Hard exams though I know guys who are old school Unix Beasts and they fail them.
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I come from a networking background (I have an AS in Network Services Technology, where I studied Netware and Cisco, but never took the CCNA test) and found 72-640 easier than 72-642. In my case, when I took 72-642, other than DNS (about 45% of the test), most of the questions I received were specific to Microsoft (Builtin Groups, wevutil, wecutil, etc...) I didn't receive a single question on IPv4, and very little on DHCP, File Services, and Routing/VPN (the topics that a background in networking would've helped with). I did get a few questions on IPv6, though. All that said, what topics you get seems to be luck of the draw. I had some friends who said they received alot of questions on topics that I received few if any questions on.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]