IAPP CIPP certifications

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
Anyone have any experience with the International Association of Privacy Professional (IAPP) Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) certifications? I've been seeing this cert on dice.com more and was wondering if anybody has it.

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm seeing this as well. In fact, it's an option to avoid taking prerequisite classes for an MS in Information Assurance degree at a college in Michigan.

The material looks interesting if nothing else.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    It's on my radar screen... no one I work with has it that I know of), but I will look at it once I get past CISA. I think it might be valuable down the road in gov work, and especially the banking industry. It's not too costly, except for the fact that you have to travel to get it.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    colemic wrote: »
    It's not too costly, except for the fact that you have to travel to get it.
    Yeah, the exam is only available in a few geographical locations. Looks like SF is the closest place to me. Maybe they'll have Las Vegas and SoCal exams in the future.
  • GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've got it - the CIPP/US. I might go for the CIPP/IT as well, but honestly I think I have that covered.

When I took it, almost everyone in the room was a attorney. I was like the only guy in the room without a suit. :)

And agreed - people are asking for this cert more and more.
    Also, I had to wait for it to come near where I live as well - that's the downside of it.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Yeah, the exam is only available in a few geographical locations.
    I am pretty sure that I read someplace that IAPP recently started to offer testing at Kryterion centers. Perhaps they haven't updated the web site yet.
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with the International Association of Privacy Professional (IAPP) Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) certifications? I've been seeing this cert on dice.com more and was wondering if anybody has it.

One interesting note - I have a interview on Friday, and my future boss has the CIPP/IT, and I have the CIPP/US... so there is some commonality there.

I think it is becoming more mainstream, which is interesting (and good).
    I'll be taking the CIPP/IT at the end of the month. Two weeks ought to be enough to pass. I'll let y'all know how I do.
    Good luck. I'm going to wait for the new materials to come out before I do it.
    Just passed the CIPP/IT exam! 86% in half a hour, not bad, not bad.
    Not bad indeed. Congrats!!
  • Andy2012Andy2012 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi all,
    I am Preparing for CIPP Foundation and CIPP/IT. Planning to take the exam around 30th Oct at NYC IAPP Event.
    i am using the following material:
    1. Certification foundation-
    DVD from IAPP, Information Privacy official reference by Peter P. Swire and Foundations of Information Privacy and Data Protection
    2. CIPP/IT-
    CIPP/IT Training (DVD)

are these sufficient ? or i need to refer some other texts ?
    IAPP website offers Certification Practice test for foundation but could not find one for CIPP/IT....is it worth ?
    any place to find practice test or sample question for CIPP/IT ?

i am a pure IT Infrastructure person with no background in privacy laws, but working in a pharma industry that deals with a lot of classified PII data.
    Hi Andy - welcome to TE and good luck on the CIPP. I haven't purchased the materials yet as I was awaiting the publication of the updated text. I work with privacy issues regularly so I was hoping that the newer materials would cover some of the changes in regulation. Also - IAPP was going to offer the testing at Kryterion which would be a lot more convenient than for me than to travel.

I am planning to take either the CIPP/US or CIPP/EU.

I am not sure so you may want to check directly with IAPP. But I was under the impression that an updated test was being given after October 1. IAPP seems to be delayed in publishing the new materials for CIPP foundation so you may want to check if your test will be based on the older or newer materials.

The notice about the updated materials was removed from some portions of the IAPP site a few days ago but you can still find it here - https://www.privacyassociation.org/store/event/0b27c46a-4822-4f29-bac1-e7257504a5bb#notice

As for finding practice tests - IAPP does offer them for $25 which you can find here - https://www.privacyassociation.org/store/certification_training
  • Andy2012Andy2012 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Paul,
    Thanks for the response.
    yeah i saw the message on IAPP regarding update coming on 1st oct. will wait in that case and then order.
    not sure if this is a new book for foundation
    https://www.privacyassociation.org/store/merchandise/e4d26ee9-588f-49c7-8a5d-f934d6242667
    Publication date: 8/31/2012

i ordered a different book a few months back for foundation,
    Information Privacy
    Official Reference for the CIPP
    by: Peter P. Swire
    Sol Bermann
    Andy2012 wrote: »
    hi all,
    I am Preparing for CIPP Foundation and CIPP/IT. Planning to take the exam around 30th Oct at NYC IAPP Event.
    i am using the following material:
    1. Certification foundation-
    DVD from IAPP, Information Privacy official reference by Peter P. Swire and Foundations of Information Privacy and Data Protection
    2. CIPP/IT-
    CIPP/IT Training (DVD)

are these sufficient ? or i need to refer some other texts ?
    IAPP website offers Certification Practice test for foundation but could not find one for CIPP/IT....is it worth ?
    any place to find practice test or sample question for CIPP/IT ?

i am a pure IT Infrastructure person with no background in privacy laws, but working in a pharma industry that deals with a lot of classified PII data.
    I would recommend contacting IAPP and verifying that the materials you have apply to the latest version of the CIPP foundation and IT exams.

I have that same CIPP/IT training DVD, it has some basic stuff on each of the items on the syllabus, so it should be OK, but verify this with IAPP first. :)
  • w0rdw0rd Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Interesting material and certification set. One question, however...

It appears you must become a member before obtaining any of their certifications. Their membership page says it is $250 to join. Is this one time or annual? Furthermore, do you have to remain a member to hold the certification? $250 is a large chuck of money.
  • w0rdw0rd Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Got my answer.

Once you have earned your CIPP, you must meet two minimum requirements to maintain your credentialed status:
    1. You must keep your IAPP membership—at any level—in good standing each year
    2. You must fulfill at least 10 hours of continuing privacy education (CPE) per year

$250 a year? Yikes. Pass on this, for now.
    @w0rd - if you deal with privacy issues, the USD$250 annual investment is quite reasonable. I plan to join ahead of any plans to take the CIPP simply because I am interested in their content.
  • victor58victor58 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Guys, looking into CIPP/IT myself. I think i would have to do the foundation first. I ordered the new updated book today. I am in NY are but i dont see any in person boot camps. Any idea how to prepare for it?
    Hi Victor - welcome to TE.

Yes - that's accurate - the CIPP foundation is the required exam for any of the specialized areas. I personally do not intend to attend any of the in-person training.

Coincidentally, I happen to call IAPP today to inquire on the status of the updated training materials (as you see from above, I've been waiting on it since August icon_smile.gif ). As you noticed, the updated book is available. I was originally planning to use the DVD lecture recordings to prepare. However, IAPP will no longer be offering the DVD's, instead they will offer online training. The material is suppose to be available for purchase at the end of December - in the next 2-3 weeks. I will likely choose to online training route for both the foundation exam and the CIPP/US exam.
  • victor58victor58 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    paul78 wrote: »
    Hi Victor - welcome to TE.

Yes - that's accurate - the CIPP foundation is the required exam for any of the specialized areas. I personally do not intend to attend any of the in-person training.

Coincidentally, I happen to call IAPP today to inquire on the status of the updated training materials (as you see from above, I've been waiting on it since August icon_smile.gif ). As you noticed, the updated book is available. I was originally planning to use the DVD lecture recordings to prepare. However, IAPP will no longer be offering the DVD's, instead they will offer online training. The material is suppose to be available for purchase at the end of December - in the next 2-3 weeks. I will likely choose to online training route for both the foundation exam and the CIPP/US exam.

Thanks Paul. You are right, I had called IAPP yesterday and they suggested the same that an online training will be setup around end of Dec. I will be waiting for the training to come up and would rather take that. We should keep in touch!
    FYI for anyone that is interested - the new online Foundation training is now available for purchase.
  • cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the update.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Books ordered. Doesn't look like it will be a "mindslayer" by any means. Add to that my wife is planning on taking the exam with me though she is HR not security. Could be interesting to say the least.

- beads