Need some advice

sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
I currently work a help desk position and go to university. The pay is pretty low and the hours are ridiculous ( have to wake up at 5:00 am). Do you guys think i should quit my job and just look for another one when i finish school?

Comments

• WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    Pretty hard to answer this one. Too many things that would factor into this decision that probably only you would know. Such as: money situation, other job availabilities, do you need the experieince?, etc...

But I would say don't quit your current job until you find a new one, unless you can afford to do so. Jobs in college towns are usually pretty hard to come by!
    Never stop learning.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No, I reckon you should keep your job and continue looking for a new one. There's no reason to quit your current job, it pays some money and the experience is building (albeit slowly). You should work on your resume, if you arent already. Tack on another cert or two, and if you try hard enough you should be able to land a desktop support gig or a junior network admin role. Are you preparing for any certs at all?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
    I just finished my CCNA not too long ago. Currently working on the MCIPT:server track
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I missed this on the first pass.
    sizeon wrote: »
    ( have to wake up at 5:00 am).

That's it? That really it? I have been waking up at 3am everyday for the past 4 months so I can study while the family is sleeping. I get 3 hours in before the missus wakes up and we get dressed to leave for work about 7.30am. How bad do you want to succeed, get a better job, get the dollars, get ahead in life, give your family a comfortable life?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Most university jobs pay fairly low unless you're hired on full-time as staff.

The low paying Desktop Support job I did while attending a university was the best thing that happened to me. The experience allowed me to move into a Systems Administration position after college which pays 3x more.

Most helpdesk positions don't pay well, you can't complain about that. And 5am? -Guess when I wake up now..

If you really want to quit your job go for it but you're likely to end up in a similar situation after college if you do.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Keep looking for a job. The help desk experience that you are working on plus the CCNA will help you out later on, especially when you complete the MCITP. How many months have you been doing support?

I understand that 0500 can be a problem if you're not completely use to it.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    I missed this on the first pass.

That's it? That really it? I have been waking up at 3am everyday for the past 4 months so I can study while the family is sleeping. I get 3 hours in before the missus wakes up and we get dressed to leave for work about 7.30am. How bad do you want to succeed, get a better job, get the dollars, get ahead in life, give your family a comfortable life?

QFT. OP, how bad do you want it?
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.