single routing/switching FLG or seperate books?

Stevo7Stevo7 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
hey guys im wondering if there is any difference to getting the CCNP books all in one or seperately? if theres a difference are there pros and cons to each?

i would prefer all in one book but not if its missing info.

Also what other books are suggested reading? i heard the routing tcp/ip volume 1 and 2 for ccie are great also

Comments

• MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Yes, the CCNP route, switch, and tshoot books each have a separate flavor. You can get either the foundation learning guide (FLG).. or the official certification guide (OCG).

Many say that the like the FLG over the OCG for Route because it goes more in depth and is possibly clearer. I used the OCG for Route, but have thumbed through the FLG and liked it.

As for Switch.. the OCG is missing some content, but it is easy to look up the missing content. Plus, I think the newly printed copies of the OCG have this extra material in the appendix in the back. I have the FLG and OCG for Switch, and definitely prefer the OCG. I just had to look up the extra content and I'm good to go.

And yes, Routing tcp/ip vol 1 and 2 have a great reputation. Especially volume 1.

Use the search bar in the top right of the forum and you'll find many threads covering this very question, with tons of input from the community here. These are just my opinions on your questions..
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • EildorEildor Member Posts: 444
    Stevo7 wrote: »
    hey guys im wondering if there is any difference to getting the CCNP books all in one or seperately? if theres a difference are there pros and cons to each?

i would prefer all in one book but not if its missing info.

Also what other books are suggested reading? i heard the routing tcp/ip volume 1 and 2 for ccie are great also

I guess you are referring to the CCNP OCG/FLG LIBRARY, which is basically the 3 separate CCNP books in one package. There is no difference in content as far as I am aware; it's just usually cheaper to get the library.

I believe the consensus is that the FLG is better when it comes to the ROUTE exam.

I'm not sure if you need Routing TCP/IP volume 1 and 2, but it wouldn't hurt to have them... volume 1 has great coverage of the IGP's, so you would benefit from reading it for sure.
  • MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have the FLG and OCG for switch - prefer the OCG, and FLG for Route.
    I've also got TCP/IP Vol 1&2. As said above, it might be a little over the top for what you want, but it's great knowledge and something you should definitely work towards.
  • TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    I found the FLG for route too long winded and got bored with it. The OCG was a bit more to the point and got through it much easier.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I enjoy the FLG book for Route, no experience with switch books yet. I feel like being newer to networking concepts on the level on NP stuff this book does a good job explaining it to me. I will probably read the OCG book as well for extra reading / understanding.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • wavewave Member Posts: 342
    I passed ROUTE with the FLG and found it to be an excellent book - all you need book-wise. I passed SWITCH with the FLG too but I wish Diane Teare or Odom had written that book. The SWITCH FLG got me through the exam, but it wasn't brilliant. I used the OCG appendices available online but can't speak for the SWITCH OCG. But hey, I passed.

With all of these exams I recommend reading the documentation available on Cisco's website. There are loads of whitepapers that delve into the details.

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
    TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
    Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP