MCITP worth getting through 2013?

ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hey guys,

I did a search but didn't find anything that addressed this.

I know they are retiring the title in July of 2013, but a buddy of mine said that the Certification would be irrelevant/useless after that time as well. I read that you can't list as a MCITP if you take and pass the test after july 31 2013, but you can if you do before...

Now I don't really care about that, what I care about is if I get MCITP EDA7 (I plan on being able to get these before the end of December 2012, will the fact that I have this, still help me in roles as a EDA in 2014 in companies that are on 2014. What I am asking is, if someone looks at my resume, would the listed MCITP EDA:7 still carry value. Or will I have to unlist it because its no longer a valid title? My main point obviously is to gain all the knowledge and having experience in Windows 7 I don't need this title to do the things the certifications test on, but I am just wondering specifically for a marketing perspective.

I don't believe windows 8 server 2012 will be adopted widely within the next 3 years, so I am trying to find something as a redundancy to my main specialization which is Networking, and before I get back into my quest for CCNP, I wanted to get a few Microsoft certs in case I needed to rely on my desktop support and administration skills until I found the right fit for networking.

My plan was 640-680-686 and get back on CCNA (Security-VOIP then CCNP) track by Feb... and I was hoping that a MCITP EDA:7 and MCTS 640 would make it so that I am well rounded an able to support myself and family regardless if I am a Network Tech or not...

Comments

• nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    About as irrelevant as the xp certs were during vista imo, meaning they won't be at all.
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□

Man, you just made me feel a whole lot better!
    I just got both mine this past week so I may be biased a bit lol
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The knowledge gained from doing the EA will not be useless or irrelevant, even after the exams are retired. It sounds like you want to stay / continue with networking, so if you want a solid cert for desktop support, then I'd do the MCITP: EST. That would be the 680 and 685 exams.
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well I actually want to get out of having to service customers face to face if you know what I mean, i want to do more of the behind the scenes and or planning aspect of migrations and or updating... versus having to get a wrench and pound on some hardware (or headset)... I've done that 7+ years, and while I have no issue being a "desktop guy" I am capable of coordinating and giving assignments more than sticking to it as the main function of my skill-set.

I was working at MCDonald's HQ for a bit and it looks like the need for SCCM packagers and those who create the images and deployments is more of the lines I want to lean, versus remoting into people's pc and doing the 1000th registry fix of my life. I mean I didn't have to do much of that because I was at an escalated tier above tier 1 & 2, but I'd like to be able to help setup roll outs and migrations, and all that versus updating adobe flash, and or rebooting people pc's. If you know what I mean. I'm working at a bank now as a project planner for Windows 7 Migrations, so since I'm doing basically the same thing the MCITP EDA:7 prepares for i thought I'd double up on the chance to gain experience and get certified.
  • ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    The ironic thing about rebranding the certification back to MCSE or MCSA is that, when I look at and print my MCITP:DA certificate from the microsoft online, the certificate's PDF image file already says MCSA, Windows 7. How do you like them apples? icon_wink.gif
  • ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    MCITP:SA/EA on Server 2008 will be appropriate for some time yet. A lot of customers are still on Windows 2008 and have no real reason to upgrade to upgrade to 2012 yet, in fact I service quite a number of customers still running Windows 2003/SQL 2000 (then again this is the "third world" so may not entirely apply to the USA). The MCITP might not be as "golden' after July 2013 but they definitely will not be irrelevant.
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    With the introduction of Windows 8, you'll find that many corporations are going to still be using Windows 7 as the prices drop. When Windows 7 came out (and still today) many companies are still using XP. So Windows 7 came out, was too expensive, and everyone was using XP. Windows 8 just came out, which means prices for Windows 7 will soon drop, and it will then be adopted more. Using Windows 8 as a corporate operating system doesn't seem very plausible in my opinion. It seems much more focused towards entertainment, etc. So getting the Windows 7 certifications now before they expire is definitely worth it. I just got the MCITP: EDST, and am now working on the Enterprise Administrator.

Second: It's common knowledge that companies never adopt brand new operating systems right away. So thinking that the Windows 8 cert is going to give you better chances of landing a job over the Windows 7 cert is incorrect. I'm not saying that the Windows 8 cert isn't worth having, just don't expect it to get you anywhere right away.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm in the middle of a deployment project for an organization with over 3000 workstations. We're using SCCM, WDS, and USMT to upgrade XP workstations to Windows 7 and image new workstations. Windows 8 will be skipped entirely.

Prior to joining a few months ago, I was seeing lots of job adds for Windows 7 projects. A lot of huge companies are just getting around to deploying it, and a lot of new VDI environments are getting build with XP. I really don't think Windows 8 is going to take big market share in corporate IT. Surface and similar might mean it has to get supported, but Windows 7 is what's getting deployed to non-touchscreen devices, and it's what's already out there.

This is just as true with Server 2008 R2. A lot of 2000 and 2003 environments are just getting upgraded to 2008 R2.

So yes, Windows 7 certs and MCITP will still be relevant. I would pursue them past summer of 2013, but they are worth starting now and will be worth having for years to come.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340

Pretty much hit the nail on the head for a lot of organizations imo. My company has 10k employee's and we are just starting to officaily move employees to Windows 7 and our CIO has stated windows 8 will not be in the cards. We are moving to VDI's in the corporate offices with term servers for most users.

Talking with previous employers and old coworkers, everyone seems to be in the same boat.
  • hostingbadgerhostingbadger Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Have been taking the exams since NT 4.0 and personally have found that learning the material never hurts. It might not help as much depending on the employer, but learning something new is a great thing. It does get overwhelming to keep riding the same ride though.....