Don't think I'm cut out for helpdesk...

124»

Comments

• Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Anonymouse wrote: »
    Been getting calls and emails. Now trying to set up interview times/dates.

Now for my typical bitching:
    Am I wrong to tell people I'm going to school and trying to cert up? I've noticed that techs higher up in rank than me tend to be complete douches now and give me a lot of attitude or mock me on issues I need assistance resolving. Pretty much any time I don't know something or make a mistake results in days or weeks of mockery. I guess either I need to not be so sensitive or just not let people know I'm trying to further myself in life.

I'm one of the few guys at my work with certs, and some people can be d-bags about it. Like, "hey Mike, I have this blah blah blah problem, do you know how to fix it?" and if I don't immediately know the answer, then they are like, "oh don't you have a cert in that?"
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    I'm one of the few guys at my work with certs, and some people can be d-bags about it. Like, "hey Mike, I have this blah blah blah problem, do you know how to fix it?" and if I don't immediately know the answer, then they are like, "oh don't you have a cert in that?"

Im afraid in IT we have far too many people these days pushing technical problems down to the few people who still feel obliged to figure out how to get things actually done. A lot of people have moved up and got comfortable. One of the problems of an industry that boomed and became a mass employer. Im staggered just how many people I have caught up with who I haven't seen for years who work in IT in one capacity or another..usually managers of one type or another.
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well I have some good news. It's in relation to this thread: http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/76817-job-relocation-guaranteeing-job.html

Just resigned from my helpdesk today. I moved about 100 miles away and was commuting 140+ miles a day to work for the past week. I just accepted a position as a system administrator 10 miles away from my new home.

Helpdesk has been extremely frustrating but I realized a few weeks ago that I really have learned a lot. Problems that used to leave me flailing for help I now come up with solutions for on the fly. I don't know how or when it happened but it did. The only regret I will have now is that I've gotten to know people here and will miss working with them.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats on moving up in the world!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Glad things worked out OK. Best of luck in the new gig.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks, guys. I'm still in shock right now.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anonymouse wrote: »
    Well I finally got back into IT support in a helpdesk role on phones two months ago. In my mind I was thinking I'd work my way up to this companies desktop support. I feel like I'm really not cut out for this volume of user interaction doing support remotely. Frankly, I absolutely positively suck at helpdesk. I loved desktop support. I was comfortable and confident in that role. Sadly it was only a short 9 month contract. I really miss working with my hands I guess.

What kind of role would work for a former computer repair/ desktop support/ helpdesk tech who likes working with his hands and getting dirty? I just want to do the technical hands on stuff with limited user interaction. Where should I be aiming in IT? What should I study to be more specialized in that sort of thing? Help?

I would think a network role would be perfect or a desktop/network support. Anything to keep you growing because helpdesk can suffocate your growth once you are pigeon-holed in it. It took me 15 years just to get a decent skill set in helpdesk and that was largely due to my last position as a Level 2 helpdesk for the biggest tele-com. I am really into learning more then doing IT end-user support and I love networking.

To answer your question, I think you would like Field support in networking. That is where I'm headed too. Don't forget they like those who are studying for WAN stuff too that CCNA affords like Frame-Relay, ATM and even Routers and Switches.
  • lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    Congrats on the new job. Hope it works out for you.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • karambakaramba Banned Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    do not try to skip helpdesk,

helpdesk will give you good soft skills

and will give you the basics.
    I wanted to skip it but I ended up working it for two years. I somehow learned a whole lot without knowing that I was. This probably sounds lame but I was pretty sad to leave my helpdesk. There were a lot of cool people there. I swear I felt a lump in the back of my throat all of my last day there.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No that is normal. I was emotional the first time I left the service desk. It's where you grow up and build your skills. I found after that first move it was nothing. Never was emotional just moved on.

Anyway good luck on your adventure. It feels just like yesterday where I was explaining to you it would work out. :)
  • YesOffenseYesOffense Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, looking to make that move myself.
    N2IT wrote: »
    No that is normal. I was emotional the first time I left the service desk. It's where you grow up and build your skills. I found after that first move it was nothing. Never was emotional just moved on.

Anyway good luck on your adventure. It feels just like yesterday where I was explaining to you it would work out. :)

Seriously! Thanks for the encouragement from the other side of the interwebs. Also coming on here and reading through peoples posts gave me a good idea of how and what to do.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My pleasure

Keep on with the good fight!