Question about learning new technologies (70-640)

sharpy56sharpy56 Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I was wondering - with the companies that you work in, is it better to be the "only one" that can do something or do learn things that other technicians are already certified in? I know it may sound silly, but it also depends on what your company can do i guess.

Also does anyone have any tips out the 70-640 exam? I have a lab built with three different servers etc that I am working with!

Comments

• m3zillam3zilla Member Posts: 172
    is it better to be the "only one" that can do something

I suppose it depends on how you want to look at it. Some say it's job security, I say it's a PITA. I've worked with those in the past who are worried about their job, so they are never willing to teach/train fellow associates. I think this is terrible, and does nothing to help the team. If each one of us are the "only one" who knows how work with a particular technology, it would be terribly inefficient.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    sharpy56 wrote: »
    I was wondering - with the companies that you work in, is it better to be the "only one" that can do something or do learn things that other technicians are already certified in? I know it may sound silly,
    Not a silly question at all. As you pointed out, it does depend on what the company does as a business. I suspect that having a single-point-of-failure is likely to be more prevalent in very small companies. But that sort of risk is typically not tolerated in larger companies unless the "only person with a skill" is considers a low-value task.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was wondering - with the companies that you work in, is it better to be the "only one" that can do something or do learn things that other technicians are already certified in?

I'd plus one what Paul says.
  • discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    My tip for 70-640 is, it is huge.
    Go through your study material, some of it you will pick up easily, some of it you won't, make sure you study your weaker points.

Example, I knew almost zero about AD Certificate Services, simply because my original certification in NT4 they didn't exist, and I simply never had to setup one up at work over the years.
    So this was my weak point, DNS I knew really well so I still studied it, but felt I knew enough.
    However I studied CS hardcore, read everything I could.

When it came to the exam, My 2nd strongest subject was certificate services lol!
    sharpy56 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I was wondering - with the companies that you work in, is it better to be the "only one" that can do something or do learn things that other technicians are already certified in? I know it may sound silly, but it also depends on what your company can do i guess.

Also does anyone have any tips out the 70-640 exam? I have a lab built with three different servers etc that I am working with!
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.