Options

I'm about to take the Net+ exam!

patcmontgomerypatcmontgomery Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm stressing over this exam! I have until the end of this month to take it. My work pays for the course, but only if I pass the exam! Then if I fail the exam I will be out the cost of the exam too! So I better pass it! I have been studying for nearly 3 weeks straight now. The OSI model is killing me. I can't seem to remeber it and what goes where. Any pointers on the exam as to what should really be studied? I know my week spots like the OSI model that I need to study. Everyone keeps saying the exam is nothing like the study tests they have been taking and that is freaking me out. Any pointers out there?

Comments

• Options
    OpiOpi Member Posts: 127
    just relax and keep learning, don't give up

Good luck
  • Options
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    What are you having trouble with on the OSI model?

Do you know the following to remember the 7 layers?
    All - Application
    People - Pressentation
    Seem - Session
    To - Transport
    Need - Network
    Data - Data link
    Processing - Physical

Sunscreen is measured with an SPF rating... So, In one of my classes years back we used...

S - Segments (transport Layer)
    P - Packets (Network Layer)
    F - Frames (Data Link Layer)
    Burn - Bits (Physical Layer)

Just some quick notes

TCP, UDP, SPX belong to Transport Layer
    IP, IPX, ICMP, OSPF, RIP belong to Network Layer
    Hardware Address or MAC belong to Data link

FTP, Telnet, HTTP, SMTP belong to Application layer

Equipment:
    Routers - Network Layer
    Switches and Bridges - Data Link
    Hubs/repeaters - Physical, cabling
    Hope this is of some help.
  • Options
    Go BucksGo Bucks Member Posts: 152
    Those are some key points to remember indeed. I used the SPF thing last week to answer a question on a skills assessment for a job. Now I'm waiting on the call for the interview.
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."
  • Options
    jsobrinogjsobrinog Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mhh focus your self in the course objetives and with the notes from this website.

For the network+ take as many practice test and read troubleshooting section

:)
    greets
    keep on
  • Options
    JuddJudd Member Posts: 132
    It seems lately that people taking the exam within the last two months have been getting a lot of troubleshooting questions, questions on the command switches, and odd questions to throw you off dealing with Mac OS X, Unix, Novell, and wireless.

Additionally they have referred to getting odd questions on OC levels and Fiber types/distances.

Good luck!

P.S. You really should understand the OSI model up and down before attempting this test; it's also a popular interview question!
  • Options
    I did have a lot of troubleshooting questions and a lot of OSI model related questions so it is good to know these things.
  • Options
    Thanks, I plan to know the OSI model inside and out. I'm just having trouble remember what protocols go where. I'm on overload now!
  • Options
    Hmmmm, that is tough to remember where everything belongs to.... Let me see if I can help at all.

OK... So you know that Routers belong to the network layer of the OSI model.

you know that you can configure IP addresses and IPX addresses on routers. So think of them as network layer the same as a router. The same goes for RIP and OSPF, these protocols can be configured on routers as well.

Honestly it does help a little if you have played with these protocols before on a router.

Ok, I'm afraid of going all over the place with this.... Try to follow if you can.

Think of TCP and UDP as transports for IP... Think of SPX in the same way in regards to IPX.... This at least helps to remember what layers TCP, UDP and SPX belong to.... ANd just remember they are a layer higher than IP and IPX.

Applications.... FTP, telnet and http belong here.... Look at FTP for example... You use it as a program (an application) for file transfers.

I don't know if any of this will be of any help to you, but it's there if you need it.
  • Options
    every little bit helps!
  • Options
    cairtakercairtaker Member Posts: 140
    First, if you are having trouble, flat out, memorize which protocols are where in the model. Then find out what they do, then follow the process of a message, from one node to another. Check what protocol it is using, what kind of network, how it gets through the routers, switches, gateways and all the way to the destination. then follow it backup the OSI model. Know what the protocols do.

Good Luck
    To protect and to serve(r)...