Options

Can I use a Windows 7 machine to study for the A+?

JupiterJazzJupiterJazz Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Right now I'm studying for the 701 and 702 A+ exams with a machine running Windows 7. I'm a few chapters into the Mike Myers AIO book and so far there's no problems. But I'm worried that somewhere down the line I'm going to need a computer running XP or Vista in order to practice solving some of the problems. Should I be worried? Can I study for the whole thing with just a Windows 7 computer? Or should I start browsing ebay for a xp/vista machine right now?

P.S. Torrenting a copy of xp/vista is not an option for me. I share my internet connection with my whole apartment building and the landlord cracks down hard on bittorrent users.

Comments

• Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    I haven't taken the A+ exam in a long time so can't answer that question but if you're running Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate you could always just use Windows XP mode.
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I will say that there are specific Windows 7 questions, but they are more geared toward 32bit vs 64bit. It doesn't really matter, like Repo Man said you could always run XP mode from Windows 7 (Pro or Ultimate). I believe the practice test for Mike Myers books tend to be Flash driven, so it won't matter. But you do want to have a XP VM or something to look at if you get confused by the 32bit vs 64bit.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    rejazrejaz Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When I studied for the A+ I used Windows 7 Ultimate with a VM running XP Mode.

That way I can cover the differences between the OS's.

Also certain folders and files are named differently (Example the user profiles in XP are stored in Documents and settings whereas in Windows 7 they are stored in Users.

Also having the hands on experience for the A+ is quite vital because there are certain questions that ask you the minimum spec for each OS and if you install a VM with a Windows XP/Vista/7 OS you will know then, also you will get questions when they ask you which command would you use for a certain type of scenario (Example I want to find out what files are located in my documents from CMD, you would then use CD "my documents" and then use DIR or TREE.

Any questions let me know.